PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting 93 after sitting awhile.......

Billy V
03-21-2004, 09:10
I have a 93 truck. I live in a warm climate.

After the truck has been sitting for a week or Two......
Sometimes the truck doesn't want to start on the first go around. It can take 3 start cycles to turn the engine over.
It only happens when the truck sits unused for a couple of weeks. I have fairly new glow plugs, so I would rule that out.

Could the fuel pressure be leaking down from sitting this long?

Any recommendations where to look first?

Thanks
Billy V

Shaun091382
03-21-2004, 11:07
Hi, I'm in a considerably cooler climate then you but im in the process of having my cold advance temp switch replaced. I have a similar problem my truck can sit for a few days and when the glow light goes off it cranks and bucks like its going to start but it can't keep running. The starting procedure that i read was to turn on the ignition and fully depress the throttle to set the fast idle controlled by this temp swith then crank when glow plugs off. I also recently had my glowplugs replaced..but when my switch wouldnt open to current applied to it i knew it was bad..hoping to replace it in the next day or too..again just a suggestion to your problem..(switch is about $20.00)

britannic
03-21-2004, 11:19
Check for supply line air leaks by pressurizing the tank with about 8-10psi using an adapted spare cap with a tire valve in it. With the pressure applied, check the fuel lines for leaks and especially check the fuel filter.

I'm not sure if GM took care of the anti-drain back mods in 1993, but they updated the inj. pump return line check valve to an anti-siphon design. If the mech. lift pump is fitted, they also produced a ventless check valve design to prevent drainback to the fuel tank. When a fuel system vacuum develops after sitting for a while, entrained air is released from the fuel and the inj. pump gulps it on the next start, resulting in a lack of fuel until the system repressurizes.

The upgraded return check valve GM part # is: 10149645 and the updated lift pump # is: 25116503 which has ventless check valves.