PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of intercooler install needed

mciaio
12-12-2003, 05:00
I am in need of some pictures of homemade inetrcooler installs. I can get a BIG free intercooler off of a core engine we have here at work. I would like to put it in the grille. I am expecting to remove my fan and put some low profile electrics and then move my rad back towards the engine and move the a/c condensor and coolers forward in the grille. I wanted to see how other people have done this. I know there are at least two people on this list that have done it. One last thing, which fan should I use? Who makes the highest CFM 12V radiator fan?

catmandoo
12-12-2003, 05:50
how will it cool in the summer with the a/c on ,i would think you would want it up front for the cool air instead of getting hot seconds off the condenser.

dieseldummy
12-12-2003, 07:00
I have just recently installed an intercooler in my grill. I did it without moving the fan or anything. It was a big cooler off a tractor. I will try to post or email you some pics if you don't mind waiting a while. (computer literacy)

mciaio
12-12-2003, 10:33
Originally posted by dieseldummy:
I have just recently installed an intercooler in my grill. I did it without moving the fan or anything. It was a big cooler off a tractor.How? Can you explain how you did it? I am dying to know!!!

dieseldummy
12-12-2003, 20:00
Well, I have the old style "honeycomb" grill. I trimmed it half way up from the bottom to where the chrome piece goes across. I took my bumper off and modified the top lip so it would allow the flat cooler to fit in the not so flat front end. I rotated the turbo down and routed the hoses under the shield in front, where most others mount the intercooler. I turned the top piece of my intake around so the inlet faces the drivers side and trimmed it to fit. I then routed the hoses and tubing up from below, tightend the clamps, and that was it. I used 2.5" exhaust pipe and 2.5 flexible hose for all the tubing that was necessary. While i had everthing apart i adusted my boost controller higher and removed the snorkel from my fender. I now have the pump turned up about 3/8 of a turn and run about 900 egt's (after the turbo that is). The intercooler was originally for an M11 Cummins. I cut about 2/3 of it of and capped it for my application.
Hope this helps. If you have any more ?'s I'll do the best i can.

dieseldummy
12-13-2003, 00:06
By the way i run about 14lbs of boost with a GM-3 in overdrive with the torque converter locked up.

dieseldummy
12-13-2003, 13:38
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288335913&p=4199491151&idx=1

here is my image station album on it.

mciaio
12-13-2003, 15:25
WOW!! That came out great. You just gave me a great amount of hope. I did some measuring and looking yesterday, and some reading today. I am going to move my trans and engine oil coolers down to where the "other" interoolers go. That should give me some room all the way up the grille. I may move a/c condensor and radiator back about an inch and then lsap the thing in the grille with hosing set up like yours. My intercooler has two side tanks with outlets on the top of each side. I figuer I'll just put it in upside down so the outlets are at the bottom like yours one left and one right. Thanks for the photos. I'm all ready to go now. just need to get the cooler off the doner "core" engine. How think was your cooler?

dieseldummy
12-13-2003, 16:16
It was about 3" thick. It was just a little wider than the space between the frame (don't remember exact number), and goes halfway up the grill from the holes in the bumper. I hope you have luck. Let us know of any progress.
Justin