PDA

View Full Version : Bio Diesel & injection system manufacturer concerns

More Power
10-29-2005, 11:24
During a recent diesel technology conference I attended in Washington DC, I spoke with a Bosch engineer who was interested in discussing the Duramax fuel injection system.

Regarding bio fuel, he said the injection system industry wants to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, but that the current lack of standards and research in bio fuel creates a problem.

Bio fuel manufacturers and the current home bio fuel producers utilize constituent components from several different sources. There are bio fuels made from farm produce, like soy, corn and other crops, and there are bio fuel made using animal waste, like tallow.

In addition, as of right now, ASTM certified bio fuel hasn't caught up with the many development projects around the country.

Most diesel engine and fuel injection system manufacturers are cautiously allowing B5, but are reluctant to increase the concentration.

Rancidity is just one issue they're concerned about (spoilage). No one seems to have a good recommendation on shelf-life/conditions, and they are also concerned about possible corrosive effects and bacterial/algae growth.

Jim

PS. More info coming about the Duramax fuel injection system regarding ball seat erosion and recommended fuel quality guidelines.

Kennedy
10-30-2005, 05:36
Anxiously awaiting more details! I've been cautiously optimistic about bio diesel, but have stuck with around B20 levels. I've heard from several running B100 in their Dmax, and don't think I'll be so bold.

I'm not sure what regular diesel would do, but my 30 gallon Mobil barrel had Delvac 1300 in it until I used it to store some B100. During the course of transfer, some spillage hit the top and the paint in this area acts like stripper was applied...

I'd also like to see backup data to the claim of increased lubricity. I've seen people using a bit of bio figuring it takes the place of a good lubriciy additive. This one I do not buy...

When I refer to my own use of bio, I am referring to ASTM B100 product manufactured by a plant and not WVO. I then blend it myself

SLT556
10-30-2005, 15:17
Originally posted by kennedy:
[When I refer to my own use of bio, I am referring to ASTM B100 product manufactured by a plant and not WVO. I then blend it myself [/QB]Kennedy, how much is the B100 going for?

OC_DMAX
10-30-2005, 17:17
More info coming about the Duramax fuel injection system regarding ball seat erosion and recommended fuel quality guidelines.

Will be interested in hearing what you have learned.

Kennedy
10-31-2005, 05:23
Originally posted by SLT556:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kennedy:
[When I refer to my own use of bio, I am referring to ASTM B100 product manufactured by a plant and not WVO. I then blend it myself Kennedy, how much is the B100 going for? [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]This varies. A few weeks back, I could get it for $2.50/gallon.

Jim Brzozowski
10-31-2005, 09:23
Just talking off the cuff here, no real time to think it out over my lunch, but it seems to me that anyone who manufactures and sells to the public the Bio should have their batch tested and see that it meets all ASTM requirements same as the Refined from oil Diesel does. Once they have done that they should address the other varables introduced into the equation, by using whatever source they distill with, and what affects those may have on our engines. Perhaps Bosch would be willing to step up to the plate with some R & D money to fund such an effort, researching the common types of products you've mentioned Jim and see what they can find out. The sooner the better for us all. Hope you keep in contact with that Engineer. Bosch has a very large stake is seeing that their products perform under whatever we purchase at the pump. If prices keep going up I'm going to go back to planting corn again and make my own if I can show its worth it, but I don't know enough about the total solution at this time.