PDA

View Full Version : Filter too too costly!!!

TooMuchMuscle
01-03-2003, 16:58
I now have just under 18,000 miles on the truck and love it to death. The one concern I do have is, I am going to be replacing my 3rd fuel filter ($$$$). I have been filling up at the local Chevron dealer, only diesel supply in town, and have not had a problem. Everytime I get dirty fuel is when I am on the road. My two questions are:

1) When I get a bad load of diesel should I immediatly change my filter (fouling wont occur so fast) or just use the tank up and then change the filter (always have a spare)?
2) Is there enough gravity pressure to push the diesel from the pump into a filler neck filter then into the tank?

>>>Waiting on Kennedy's fuel filter<<< :D

KompressorMan
01-05-2003, 13:37
Robert, I have 55,000 miles on my 01 and have never had the water in fuel light come on. However, I've had 4 injectors replaced from what the stealer is saying is dirty fuel.
Has your light come on 3 times?
If YES, The way I would address it is this, At first indication of water, I would pull over and stop the engine ASAP. I would then open the bleed screw, and fuel filler cap then use the hand pump to pump out all the water untill only fuel appears.
I sometimes use the Stanadyne additive, but in your case, I would rather let the separator bowl and filter do the job intended, rather than putting that much water into the system by a dispersant. If the filter is fairly new when this happens, I'd probably try to get a little more life out of it before changing it, depending on circumstances.
Herb

jbplock
01-05-2003, 17:02
FYI.. Stanadyne Performance Formula is a water demulsifier not a dispersant. It causes water to separate from the fuel so the water separator can do its job. Some other additives like FPPF and Power service are water emulsifiers or dispersants.

ardmore
01-08-2003, 08:59
Herb,
What were the symptions when the injectors went bad? Did the four injectors all go bad at once?

Don

2002 Chevy 2500 D/A

KompressorMan
01-09-2003, 20:56
Don,
The engine started skipping and sputtering. The SES light came on soon after. If you want to read the entire thread. Go to http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003595&p=

Hope this helps,
Herb

TraceF
03-12-2003, 09:29
jbplock-

Bill-

A customer gave me a gallon of this to try out:
Power Service Diesel Injector Cleaner Part # 3040

"Contains Lubricity Additive
Meets Cummins L-10 Spec
Meets Cummins N-14 Spec
Contains cetane inprover
...meets lubricity requirements for Stanadyne, John Deere, Bosch..."

Once per oil change at 250:1
Full time maintenance at 1000:1

What do you think of using this product in the Duramax?

jbplock
03-12-2003, 10:25
Trace,

I'm not an expert on this subject (or on most subjects) so I can't really make a recommendation, other than to say that I used Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement from 85-99 with good results. I switched to Stanadyne about 4 years ago after reading about it here on TheDieselPage and have continued to have good results with it also. (I'll probably switch to "water emulsifying" FPPF or Primrose once my 5gal pail of Stanadyne runs out).

I tried to find the part number you referenced at http://www.powerservice.com/ but couldn't seem to find it. From the description you listed, it sounds like it may be a single purpose type additive

TraceF
03-12-2003, 10:27
I called Power Service tech and they said the new part # is 3041.

Thanks

SPICER
03-12-2003, 19:47
KompressorMan,

When you had your 4 injectors go bad, was this covered under the warranty? If so, how did the stealer prove it was bad fuel?

Did you have a secondary filter then?

Do you have one now?

It is cases like this that should convince us to use a secondary filter, and should force GM to OK any aftermarket secondary filters

I am also awaiting my JK like many others!
SPICER smile.gif