PDA

View Full Version : Fix it or forget it?

NoMo
01-03-2003, 22:20
There is a "needle" valve (like a giant tire valve stem) beside the alternator. This valve connects to a rubber hose that appears to run back to the fuel rail, but because it is behind the ECU, I can't tell for sure. Anyway, there is some liquid (fuel?) in the valve fitting. There isn't enough to run out onto the engine, but when you take the black plastic cap off, it is "wet" and there is maybe 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon of liquid. Truck runs fine and I'm getting pretty good mileage so should I be concerned about this "liquid"?

mdrag
01-03-2003, 23:17
NoMo,

I believe you are describing the fuel pressure test port. I've never taken the cap off but I would not expect it to leak. I'd have the dealer take a look at it. Good luck.

jbplock
01-04-2003, 07:42
Mine also has a little fuel in the test port schrader valve and so far I wasn’t too concerned about it, as it’s not leaking. It’s been there since the truck was new. I suspect that it's just a little spillage left over from disconnecting the test gauge. I'm not positive but I seem to remember reading that this test port would produce a vacuum reading.

[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: jbplock ]</p>

NoMo
01-04-2003, 10:21
Thanks for the replies- and the name of the valve! smile.gif My truck has also been like this since brand new (still only have 5,000 miles on it).

I don't really want the dealership tinkering with the truck so I think I'll dry the port out and see if the fuel returns. If it does, then I'll let the dealership take a look at it. Would hate for the valve to REALLY start leaking out on the highway somewhere.