PDA

View Full Version : What's latest thinking on changing fluids on new LLY

Web
05-16-2004, 19:33
Just passing 600 miles on my replacement truck, so it's time to think about my initial fluid changes.

What's the current thinking on changing the various fluids..engine, trans, diff, transfer case etc? When and with what product?

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
05-16-2004, 21:48
I don't know what would make the LLY any different than the previous models. I suggest following a service schedule the same as has been for the LB7.

As far as fluids, the choice is yours. Be sure to stay within the manufacturer's requirements.

75-90 synthetic in the rear end. You can also use it in the front diff. Check the front vent nipple. It should be white to tolerate the synthetic. Mine is the older black one, but I haven't had any problem with it in over 60K with synthetic (Amsoil) in it. Perhaps it's just the grape juice (GM brand synthetic rear end lube) that makes them fail.

ATF in the tranny and transfer case. You can also use ATF for the power steering if necessary.

15w-40 CI-4 for the engine. No need to consider anything else, being in CA.

This is just my opinion, but synthetic should be used whenever possible. It has proven itself to me (and countless others) over the years. Definately consider syntetic ATF for the tranny and transfer case. These CA summers sure put the heat in. Not as bad where you are, but it can get real hot going through those coastal hills.

BTW
I bought my '01 at Rancho Grande in SLO, Nov. 2000. Ron Orcutt, great dealer. I get over that way several times a year.

Kennedy
05-17-2004, 06:31
Early/often on engine oil. I'd do it now if you haven't already, and in another say 500 miles or so. Seems to be a lot of dirt from assy/mfr in there. 3-4 changes within the first 1-2k would be best IMHO.

Not changing it for 5k plus has worked for many, but oil is cheap, and the ounce/pound saying can apply here.