PDA

View Full Version : exhaust manifold

dmaxmule
02-03-2005, 18:29
If I remember correctly, a while back someone posted something about an exhaust manifold that was all ready drilled and tapped for a probe. Is this correct or was I dreaming?

As far as the dealer is concerned, I am never going to use a programmer, but I am wondering if the dealer is going to cause me greif over having gauges. I am most affraid that the manifold will crack and they will not warranty the manifold or eventhe entire motor.

OC_DMAX
02-04-2005, 06:21
If you drill a hole in the exhaust manifold and it cracks, I would not expect them to warranty this item. Having said this, how many cracked manifold have you heard about on the various diesel forums?

Your concern about dealers seeing an EGT gauge and associating this with an Edge box (or something similar) is valid. If I was servicing one of these vehicles, that would be my first thought. I guess it would depend on the repair that needs to be made to the engine, as to how far they would take it.

oyazi
02-04-2005, 22:38
My take/response to a potential question from a dealer would be that gauges is something necessary even for stock and to have gauges isn't indicative of having performance mods. In fact, thats all I have are the installed gauges and I use them.

my05
02-12-2005, 07:39
I am worried about the same thing. I just got my 05 a couple of weeks ago and don't want to be drilling on the exhaust manifold till I get some more miles on it. I plan on putting a aftermarket exhuast on it and was thinking about putting it in the down pipe. I know the readings aren't as accurate, but would that be better then then nothing? Then down the road put one in the manafold

norskeman
02-12-2005, 15:52
Had mine drilled and tapped for a pyro - passenger side.

Glad I did - when towing the exhaust temps can run pretty high.

2004 GMC 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Box ; Duramax (LB7)/Allison; GMC bed liner; Air Lift Super Duty air bags; Michelin LT265/75-R16 LTX M/S ; Luverne Running boards; Bilstein shocks; Isspro gauges; Racor frame mount fuel pre-filter.

Buck
02-12-2005, 17:53
Here guys, I just did my 2005 last weekend. Very easy, just take your time. I let the engine idle when drilling and tapping. Use cobalt drill bits to. I didn't use cutting fluid, I was always told to drill cast iron dry. Here is some info that helped me. Good luck :cool:
Hoot method (http://www.getdieselpower.com/my01dmax_files/egt/article/article.html)
The LLY motor needs to be drilled in a little different spot than what the Hoot method shows. BMDMAX's write up show a good pic of the spot for the LLY exhaust manifold.
LLY EGT location (http://d267292.u27.infinology.net/Gauges.html.26.html)