PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a rookie

dogren
10-31-2005, 09:12
Hello,
This is a post from a rookie to this forum and to diesels in general. First ever diesel is a

DmaxMaverick
10-31-2005, 09:56
Welcome to the Forums!

Your description is a carbon copy of my experience. I had a couple injectors replaced early on, then all 8 after the warranty extension. Your smoking is likely failed injectors.

The P0380. Just went through that myself as well. This Post (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=009025#000000) describes my experience. If you have a scanner or access to a Predator, you can troubleshoot the glow plugs very easily. The PCM monitored voltage will tell you if and how many plugs are bad. I listed the voltage table in the post. The glow plug harness at the top of the controller makes it very simple to check the continuity of each plug from the top of the engine. Use an ohm meter or test light to test them. A bad plug will be open. If you find all the plugs good, the controller is pretty easy to replace, as well as the intake heater, which can also set the same code.

Good luck!

Jim Brzozowski
11-01-2005, 09:30
DmaxMaverick, I just read "The Post". You're a piece of work, I love the way you can write. You don't leave out the details and how else can an experience be an experience without experiencing it. Can you give me an idea of about how long LB7 Glow Plugs should last? So many start cycles, or so many miles or what?

DmaxMaverick
11-01-2005, 12:37
Got no idea how long they should last. The one that went on mine is the only one that failed. The rest are still up to spec.

It could have been inferior from day one, or perhaps that cylinder is/was a couple degrees warmer/cooler than the rest. It was one of the cylinders that got fuel dumped into it by a bad injector. Who knows?