PDA

View Full Version : Duramax K-5 Creation (attn paint-dude)

matt-max
01-04-2003, 09:58
Ok, I've been thinking....or dreaming maybe...I seem to recall a project K-5 website from about 1999 or so that featured a vehicle something like this. anybody remember?

how about taking a 2500hd ext cab shorty and the rear of a 2000-up Yukon/Tahoe and getting some body/frame expert to create the modern version of the 2-door K-5 tahoe/yukon/blazer?

it would have the rear 'access-panels' of the ext cab and the rear seat and cargo area of the tahoe/yukon.

it could be done on the lighter duty 2500 or 1500 chassis which would probably be easier for frame combining, but the real treat would be using the heavier frame from the 2500hd and keeping the duramax and allison intact.

finding the right damaged vehicles (damaged rear truck and damaged tahoe/yukon) would make it much cheaper, i suppose.

spring rates would have to be guessed at to keep from being beaten to death, but this is feasible, right? i would love one of these things!

what do you think?

matt

stretch
01-04-2003, 13:45
Cool idea if you got the cash !!! Certainn to be top dog in the SUV department. :cool:

Landscaper
01-05-2003, 19:57
I'm getting ready to do something similer. I've got a 86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer thats getting a 01 Cummins Turbo Diesel with most of the drivetrain out of an 01 Ram(tranny, dana 60 axles, dash, hvac, and other odds and ends). I wish it was a D-Max but counldn't find one that was affordable.

Paintdude
01-05-2003, 20:33
That is one of those jobs you couldnt afford to pay some one to do for you, you would have to do it as a project for yourself..

With what they do to street rods anymore anything is possable..

I think making the frame anyshorter makes for fuel tank location problems..or a 12 gallon tank..

Nothing like dreaming.. smile.gif

Jelisfc
01-06-2003, 13:51
I'm suprised no-one has taken a CC/SB and sectioned in the back half of a suburban and shortened the frame accordingly. Everyone talks about Dmax burbs. It wouldn't be hard to make one.