PDA

View Full Version : Warped Rotors at 1500 miles

tully_mars
11-02-2005, 14:02
I haven't taken it in yet, but with only 1500 miles on the 06 LLY this thing is terrible to stop. Are these trucks known to overheat brakes easily? I haven't even hooked up a trailer yet. Lots of vibration when the brakes are applied.

Tully Mars

DmaxMaverick
11-02-2005, 14:16
Get it back to the dealer ASAP. You have something major wrong. The brakes are not a weak point on these trucks.

markrinker
11-02-2005, 15:36
The braking on my '01 and '05 is probably the best I have had on a light duty truck. However, they are very expensive when it comes time to replace rotors.

tully_mars
11-02-2005, 15:49
Ok, will take it in tomorrow for sure. I kind of figured the breaks were really durable since there isn't much on the site when you do a search on warped rotors.

Thanks

Tully Mars

madmatt
11-03-2005, 03:40
my guess would be that during assembly, some debris was left in between the rotor and hub mating surface. I've seen this several times on trucks w/ less then 1k on the odo. also according to GM these rotors don't warp, they just get excessive thickness variation due to the aforementioned problem, incorrect torque or sequence, or rust on the braking surface. FYI, on all the new trucks we've had this problem on we did replace the rotors. Who wants a new truck w/ resurfaced rotors on it anyway???

WNFD
11-03-2005, 04:46
Hey guys I got a question about the brakes. My truck stops decent, but I have always driven ford ans the ford seemed to stop much better. It seems like i have to hit the brake pedal a little harder to stop. The ford all I had to do is lightly hit it and the truck stopped quick.
I did notice however the chevy doesnt put out much brake dust. I try to wash the truck once a week and before my fords front rims would be black.

BlackMax 2001
11-03-2005, 06:32
I had to replace the front rotors and brake pads at at a little under 40K on my truck. It is a 2001 D/A. They were almost rusted up. It does stop better now. Also, the back one are about the same. :rolleyes:

tully_mars
11-03-2005, 11:36
Originally posted by madmatt:
my guess would be that during assembly, some debris was left in between the rotor and hub mating surface. I've seen this several times on trucks w/ less then 1k on the odo.... There was rust buildup on the brake rotors. Now replaced and much better. Dealer says this has happened a few times with vechicles that spend some time on the lot. Down in Foley AL there is a lot of salty air due to the Gulf of Mexico. All is better now.

Thanks

Tully Mars

bamabadboy
11-04-2005, 02:50
My previous 2005 1500 had brake rotor problems the first day I drove it. Dealer resurfaced them and said some of the brand new rotors come that way. Worked fine after that.