PDA

View Full Version : Which transmission line??

MR.E
03-22-2004, 12:04
First let me admit I feel like a dope asking this question as I think I am decent mechanic and have the Helm manual set...and know how to use the search function.

Which line is the supply line to the factory trans cooler? (both viewed from the passenger side of the truck)

The forward lower one?

Or

The rear higher one?

Installing a sender and don't want to install a "T" and a splice too.

BTW...If anyone knows where in the Helm manual set this can be determined from I would apprecieate a hint.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Dave C
03-23-2004, 05:31
On my 99 Sub the supply line goes to the upper connection on the radiator cooler (return is lower). Even though my service manual's drawing makes it appear to be the lower connection. I found out the hard and messy way when doing a flush. :mad: Assume it's the same on a 94, but you know what they say about assume. :rolleyes:

cruzer
03-23-2004, 06:49
The majority of the time, coolers and rads flow downhill when there is a upper and lower line.

MR.E
03-23-2004, 21:43
Thanks guys.

Anybody out there have a "T" installed in the line to the cooler? Which line from the transmission was it? (See questions posted above)

On a side note, I temporarily used the 1/8" NPT "fluid inspection port" on the drivers side and am getting around 185-190 around town. Seems a little high to me.

Those of you with trans temp guages....How far apart are your temps from what I am seeing? and where do you measure from?

Cooperrw
03-24-2004, 03:33
I have my sender in the line going to the radiator and around town with the converter unlocked my temp's will hit 180 or 190. Out on the highway with the converter locked I run about 140 or 150. :cool:

MTTwister
03-24-2004, 08:14
Can I get Specifics on the TEE? Size, Threads, etc. Are the lines built with a double flare? Do I need a flared adapter, Male / female, to get the TEE plumbed in?
I'm thinking one option for this would be at the Radiator line. HAven't looked at the Tranny line to Rad connection yet, but I could really use a jump start. ( pursuing another option of an aftermarket tranny pan drain plug, if I can find one of those

Thanks

Fredeberle
03-24-2004, 15:43
MTTwister,
I am no expert as you can see from the other post but following Tankers advise I bought a brass T 3/8 NPT($4.75) then got 2 steel hydralic compression fittings 3/8 tubing x 3/8NPT male ($5.00)
These go together nice and the sender doesn't bottom out.
Haven't put it in yet but those lines under the truck don't seem to give you much room.
Hope the good weather keeps up. Tired of cabin fever.

rjwest
03-25-2004, 14:44
I used the brass " T" approach. installed it
right behind radiator , close to top ( top line )
inlet to radiator. Easy to work there,
and when it leaks, can get at it.....

Should be very close to temperature of trans fluid in pan...

Usually see 140 150 normal driving " locked converter ) 160 - 180 unlocked.

, 3000 lb Truck Camper. TCC locked 180-210 tCC unlocked TOO HOT, 250-Plus degress...

Fluid temp Was higher in summer before I went to 180 deg Thermastats