PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Diesel Lift Pump and Wiring Harness

YZF1R
05-21-2004, 13:06
Well, everything works as advertised. Very nice kit. Wiring, top of the line hose clamps, connectors, etc., etc. All the usual Kennedy Diesel details. All items were mounted in the same places as John recommends or as shown in the pictures he sent me. Truck does seem to start a little faster and idle smoother. Time will tell if anything else but I'm sure it can do nothing but good to have it on there. VERY nice to push a button to prime fuel filters. (Changed those out also.) Key must be "ON" to use manual primer.

Things I added - 10 amp inline fuse for pump power. 3 amp add a circuit fuse for control power. All connections soldered and shrink wrapped.

Some things to think about when installing - I used the 15 amp glow plug/intake heater fuse for switched control power, adding the add a circuit fuse holder. Note: When standing on the drivers side looking into the fuse box at that fuse, the terminal on the left side of the fuse is the hot side. The wire for the add a circuit fuse holder comes out toward the rear of the truck in this position. If it is installed the other way, the power for the added fuse will go straight out that leg and not through the fuse. The reason I'm saying this is so you don't have to remove the 15 amp fuse and turn on the key to check which side is hot. As I figured, when I did this it tripped the SES lamp because the computer saw that the circuit was not working. No real big deal though as the light went out after several key ons' with the fuse back in. Also, don't forget a

YZF1R
05-21-2004, 14:30
I should note, the lift pump wiring harness I recieved is a pre-production unit. Production units may have more refinements.

Steve

On edit: JK does have the B+ wire fuselink protected. I wasn't aware of that.

[ 05-23-2004, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: YZF1R ]

TraceF
05-26-2004, 03:23
So when will we see retail sales? John?

Kennedy
05-26-2004, 15:00
I had a post generated, but somehow lost it.

Suffice to say, we are revising the design to be more surface mount/machine assembled vs. hand built and time consuming. Still USA built, but refined, simplified, higher tech...

TraceF
12-24-2004, 04:51
Originally posted by kennedy:

Suffice to say, we are revising the design to be more surface mount/machine assembled vs. hand built and time consuming. Still USA built, but refined, simplified, higher tech... [/QB]OK... when?

Kennedy
12-24-2004, 07:10
I've had a test unit running on my bench for a few months now. A few more hand built variants of the production unit are coming in January.

Kennedy
12-24-2004, 07:17
I'll also add that my new "Magic" lift pump is also VERY near release. Brushless, shaftless, sealless, leak proof, 40k hr life, pull thru design, virtually silent, etc...

YZF1R
12-24-2004, 08:18
My early release prototype has been on for about eight months now and is working great! It seemed to raise MPG about 1/2 to 1 more. Thanks John for another excellent product. The final release version sounds like it will be better yet. ;)

Steve

saywhat
12-24-2004, 08:44
Steve says an increase in m.p.g.,does the lift pump possibly reduce amounts of air in the fuel that is being pumped and by completely filling the fuel filter with fuel instead of partial fuel with a lot of air as in the stock filter and suck her up system?When I change filters on my stock system only the bottom third of filter is discolored by fuel and the remainder I would assume is clean because only air is there.Also when draining filter it is not full of fuel.Is there a check valve in the fuel tank at the bottom of the suction line?

Kennedy
12-27-2004, 06:48
I changed my LLY fuel filter (came new with the dual layer media) at 3k and it was nearly 50% used/discolored.

Every non pressure fed filter that I've seen (changed at reasonably short term) has shown distinct shading. Evey psi fed unit has been uniformly discolored.

I believe that the "air" is fuel vaporizing in the lines in most cases. The new filter will encourage this even more as it seems to run a restriction similar or even greater (3"hg new) than my Mega equipped LB7 with the std OE filter in place. I also found that it only wanted to "give" about 4 to 6oz when I opened the drain with the bleeder removed. Once I removed it and tipped it over, enough fuel poured out to fill my 16oz measuring cup.

I use a Pyrex glass measuring cup to observe sediment when draining...

Kennedy
02-02-2005, 13:07
Just a followup here, the images should be up soon:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=324

From there I'll need to write some destructions...

YZF1R
02-03-2005, 06:38
Looks great! My prototype is still working without a problem. smile.gif

Steve

Kennedy
02-03-2005, 12:00
Pic:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/liftpumpswitch.gif