PDA

View Full Version : mega filter ( pre or post)??

bwpody_16
11-05-2005, 09:32
I am currently looking at purchasing a mega filter kit from kennedy diesel. I was just wondering if what you guys reccomend as to installing it pre or post. I would like to install it post, but have heard some issues of air problems. I do not want to install a lift pump, money is a little short. thanks for your comments.

More Power
11-05-2005, 13:59
There has been lots of discussion about pre/post. A search in this forum for the related keywords should turn up more info. Mdrag, a moderator here has had a Mega installed post OEM for a couple of years now or longer. He may weigh in on your message.

Jim

mdrag
11-06-2005, 12:40
bwoody,

I've had the KD Mega installed for 2+ years. Pre vs post OEM install has always generated plenty of spirited forum discussion :eek:

I chose a post OEM install for a few reasons, including:

1) General filtering principles with the coarser filter first (OEM) and finer filter next (MEGA).

2) I suffered an on vehicle OEM fuel filter failure - the metal endcap separated from the filter media allowing unfiltered fuel and debris to enter the high pressure injection system. Not a good thing IMHO.

Arguments for a pre-OEM install include less concern for voiding warranty coverage. Also, pre-OEM installs have not experienced air-vapor accumulation in the MEGA element that can occur in post installs. Air-vapor accumulation can cause engine stalling shortly after starting.

Kennedy has a simple mod for the MEGA filter nipple that he reports has cured air-vapor accumulation - making this a non-issue for post-OEM installs.

The full review of my KENNEDY DIESEL MEGA FILTER REVIEW (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/megafilter.htm) can be found by clicking on the bold text or following the PRODUCT REVIEW link at the top of the page.

David Proske
11-07-2005, 06:44
I have mine installed pre oem and have had it stall on me about 3 times in the past 2 years. a quick bleed and she fires right up. Dunno what the deal is. Might have a small air leak some where. Always stalls right after the engine fires up.

Kennedy
11-07-2005, 08:23
The "air" is always there without a lift pump. The Bosch system is quite capable of processing this "air" in most cases, but sems to depend on when ther air hits in relation to run time. I can drop a tank, add lift pumps and send ao odf this air to the pump by simply starting the truck without the pump active or bleeding anything and the engine will start and run w/o missing a beat.

mdrag
11-14-2005, 13:47
bwoody,

Here are pictures of my recently serviced POST OEM KD MEGA ELEMENT WITH 13.3K MILES (http://community.webshots.com/album/91806272mLISUS).

This is a log of my fuel filter changes, starting with the initial MEGA post OEM install:

Fuel filter change intervals (miles/hours):

10,778/388 Racor single layer + new install post OEM MEGA
12,165/446.6 Racor single layer
15,774/587.7 Racor single layer + MEGA
16,289/602.1 Racor single layer
18,327/653.6 Racor single layer
23,514/771.1 Baldwin BF7827 dual layer short OEM
27,172/881.7 Racor single layer
29,097/933.2 Baldwin BF7827 dual layer long OEM + MEGA

The longest interval between servicing the OEM fuel filter while this MEGA element was installed is 5187 miles (nearly 1/3 GM's recommended service interval).

During this time, all of the OEM fuel filters have been cut open for inspection, and ALL of the canisters have been clean and no rust, and the filter elements were intact and not used up. Actually, the elements looked better than I expected from past experience with my truck/fuel supply.

I certainly hope that GM and Racor got it right with the SECOND (or third) RE-DESIGN of the OEM fuel filter :rolleyes:

On Edit: Link fixed.

[ 11-14-2005, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: mdrag ]

Kennedy
11-14-2005, 17:49
Amazing how much crap made it through the OE unit. It almost had to have come through as small microbial particles that grew into the sludge in the pics. Excellent argument for improved filtration!

BMDMAX
11-23-2005, 06:54
I have a KD Mega plumbed post OEM. I do have a lift pump so no air issues here.

It really does a fantastic job on the filtering.

Hard to argue the results: ISO Cleanliness Code: 13/11/8 Acceptable (Max . 20/19/15 - Target ->15/13/10)

http://www.bmdmax.com/image003.gif

Kennedy
11-23-2005, 08:39
It should be noted that Brandon has the Super Mega filter kit. It has a 1 micron synthetic media element that is quite impressive, but about 2x the cost of the original Mega element. For those who want the best, this is it. The Super Mega kit will ship with a single element at the same price, or two elements at $300. Replacement elements are $70, but will last a LONG time due to the synthetic media used.

Early Mega units will not retrofit though as there needs to be a groove in the underside of the head to hold the seal. If your head has this groove, you can simply change the center post nipple and install the new element. If you do not have the groove, you will need to have the groove cut.