PDA

View Full Version : engine surge at low rpm (idle or just a bit above)

Applecore
02-10-2005, 08:51
My Chev 2004.5 LLY has a surge at idle. When I move slowly in a parking lot there is a noticable surge i.e. I can't keep the accelerator steady. Does anyone else have the concern? If so, has there been an update to the computer system?

derik
02-10-2005, 10:41
I have had my 2004.5 lly at the dealer four times since purchasing it in August 2004 for this exact problem. The dealer has performed two computer updates, replaced an injector, replaced the FICM and several fuel filters. None of these have solved the problem. I have gathered that the fuel pressure regulator may contribute to this condition, but the dealer has been unwilling to replace it yet.

I often am accused of being drunk when driving in parking lots because of this "surge" condition.

I hope someone on the board can shed some light on this one.

Thanks.

derik

Kennedy
02-10-2005, 14:34
My 2005 does this some time too. Just have to step on it harder :D

Hopefully they will come with a cure.

tanker
02-10-2005, 16:36
Mine does it as well, but hasn't really bothered me yet. 1000 miles and counting. :D

RdTxTd
02-10-2005, 17:58
My 2005 does it, too. Has about 3400 miles on it now. Took it in to the dealer on Monday. They found an update that is supposed to address it, but it was already installed. They told me they spoke with GM and that it's not unusual and there's no current fix. They offered to let me try driving a new one off the lot to show me it was doing the same thing.

Before I dropped it off, the shop foreman rode around with me with a Tech II plugged in. He experimented with a few things like turning off the EGR since he saw if fluctuating, but that didn't stop it. One thing that did seem to help was raising the fuel pressure slightly.

Dave

Cornell
02-11-2005, 07:07
I have a 2004.5 LLY/Allison with 12000 miles on the clock. Mine also surges, I had the update installed and it did help the smoke and midrange combustion knock. But I think the new update made the surge worse. Now that I know it is a common problem with thses trucks I do not pay attention to it. AS JK said maybe GM will come up with a fix. I just enjoy driving it :D :D :D

gandrimp
02-14-2005, 15:59
Mine does it but my kids think its cool.My (fiancia ) future mrs gandrimp dont care for it but she dont say much.

DmaxMaverick
02-14-2005, 17:04
....My (fiancia ) future mrs gandrimp dont care for it but she dont say much. That's only because she's still the "future Mrs". Just wait. :D

Sorry. Couldn't resist....

elowe1
02-15-2005, 08:37
I had this surge at idle issue with my 01. Brought it to the dealer at 76000 miles for intermittant power loss. They replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the surge went away. This didn't solve the power loss (which they are still working on,I suspect that wiring harness issue) but it did get rid of the surge.

Cliffee
02-15-2005, 08:40
I have an 05 that does it also. I just had it updated a month ago to the "Latest" Update and no change. The shop forman took me for a ride in his 05 to prove that they all do it. Just another one of those wonderful GM surprises! Luckily its barely noticable.