PDA

View Full Version : Mega Trip/Mega Problem

smitheb
05-24-2004, 05:51
I just returned from a 4,000 mile trip from ME as far west as Kansas City, then back via Smokey Mts of NC. I thought my pressure bleeding the pre OE MF had solved my stalling problem but after 1,000 miles I began to get stalls after long stops. At 3,000 miles I could no longer prime with the OE primer so ended up cutting the line and by-passing the MF which solved the problem. It seems our desire to obtain additional fuel filtering has escalated into a major redesign of the fuel system. The CA emission kit forced me to install the MF prior to the OE filter and this probably adds to the problem. I think I will try the by-pass orifice next.

I managed to average 12.8 mpg for the entire 4039 miles towing my 8500 pound 5th-wheel trailer. The average cost of fuel was $1.69/gal which was running almost 25-cents cheaper than regular gas. Truck ran great and the Allison is a real winner.

Kennedy
05-24-2004, 06:00
Inspector, and many others have installed as a post OE on the EGR equipped trucks. Not too difficult to do.

The bleed orifice has definitely eliminated any no starts on the trucks using it. Adding a lift pump has done this as well.

Heat, time, and reduced pressure release this "air" yielding the diesel equivalent of vapor lock. The best solution, IMHO is to pressurize the supply so that the filter(s) remain full.