PDA

View Full Version : First pull with lly

DURA-MAX3
05-24-2004, 08:33
Pulled my 24' enclosed trailer for the first time this weekend and man does this thing get bad mileage.Hope it gets better when broken in.Only 1700 miles on it so far.Does anybody have trouble with the engine fan coming on all the time, this is a lot worst than my lb7 truck. It hardly ever came on. The other thing i have noticed is that when pulling my trailer the brake booster or something is howling right before the truck comes to a stop, you can feel it through the pedal, its a whining sound. I forgot to mention that i got about 8 to 10 mpg while towing and the trailer weights about 7000lbs. Any thoughts would be helpful.

mark45678
05-24-2004, 13:58
smothings not right.... My lb7 and lly truck gets the same MPG towing and the lly is slightly better empty! towing a 102" wide enclosed 22' car trailer I get 12.5~13 mph In the hills of NH at 70 mph with 7K in tow... normal driveing I get 17 mpg

BarryD
05-25-2004, 16:42
My trailer is a 28 foot 7000 lbs haven't noticed the fan. Engine and trans. temp are normal. Getting around 12 mpg at 70 mph. I use the tow/haul mode. Truck pulls the trailer very well. Lots of power and hills are a breeze. 7000 miles on mine so far.

Jon Wolfe
05-25-2004, 16:49
I get the same vibration coming to a stop. I figured it was a vibration coming from the transmission, but the brake booster is a possibility too.

If you ever have it checked out..let me know what the cause is.

I'm getting very good fuel mileage though. I'm getting 19 or better unloaded on the highway, and 14 to 15 on the highway with a 7000 lb trailer.

Good luck!

DURA-MAX3
05-26-2004, 08:22
The trailer i am pulling is 102' wide and about 8.5 feet in height. My 01 D/A got about 12 to 13 pulling the same trailer...Maybe when broken in it will increase. Other people are haveing the same noise when towing and it appears to be coming from the brake booster of power steering pump...

More Power
05-27-2004, 15:28
How does the power compare to the LB7 you had? If there's a problem with the engine or various systems (EGR, VNT turbo, etc.), power could be down along with fuel economy.

MP

DURA-MAX3
05-27-2004, 18:47
Just got back from the dealer today and the power steering pump was overfilled. It was completly full, as in no room for any more...It was puking it out around the filler cap...The dealer said he did not think that was the problem but told me to try it out.We test drove the truck with the trailer and it takes a while for the fluid to get hot enought to do it but it did and he said it definitly isn't right and is currently checking with GM about the problem.I told him about this web site and that other people were reporting the same problem...He said that he is going to start reading our great forum...James Wood is a great dealership and there service is the best I've seen.

Morepower::: I don't know yet about the power it seems pretty strong but the mileage sucks...I can baby it or give it hell and it dosen't change 1mpg.I don't know if the mileage thing on the dash is reading right because i changed tires to 265/75R/16...but it still seems to be using the fuel right now...I am going to give it more time to break in, only have 1800 on it now...Low end power seems to be low but the midrange is real strong as well as the top end...