PDA

View Full Version : After Market Oiled Air Filters

deerhunter7
05-28-2004, 07:39
Document ID# 1468758 was set on my seat when I picked up my truck from Dealer. Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or SES light on as a Result of an After Market Reusable, Excessively Oiled Air Filter..
Says Do This .First Inspect the vehicle for a reusable aftermarket excessively oiled air filter.
Don't do this.. Do not repair under warranty if concerns result from the use of a reusable aftermarket oiled air filter.

The oil that is used on these air filters may be transfered onto the Mass Air Flow Sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams Per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed may occur...The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with a OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify concern..

I have the Amzoil Filter and I don't know if this was left for me as a warning or not . Truck was fixed under warranty .SES light was on. Previous post.. This could be another fight with your Dealer.. :confused:

[ 06-01-2004, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: deerhunter7 ]

More Power
05-31-2004, 13:36
I suppose a contaminated sensor could be reason to decline warranty coverage for that related MAF code. They cannot decline warranty coverage in general - for other system or component failure (turbo, or fuel injectors for example) because of an oil contaminated sensor.

If you install a new oiled foam air filter, then see an service engine soon light or have an ECM code show up soon after, it would be wise to clean the sensor using an oil-free spray solvent, like carb cleaner or other plastics compatible solvent.

I've been running either an Amsoil or Uni oiled foam filter for about 20,000+ miles without incident. Our Project Duramax has been running an oiled AFE gause filter without any MAF issues.

MP

James S
06-02-2004, 05:36
Hey There,

There is an extensive article on the AFE Proguard Seven, air filters, and how their air-filter is the only one, whos oil will NOT affect the MAF in some unwanted way. Look for it on the forum or on their site.

James

Heartbeat Hauler
06-03-2004, 09:47
I've been running the Amsoil airfilter for about 20,000 miles with no problems. I do remember that when I installed the filter I sopped up some of the excess oil with paper towels before installing. For once I am siding with GM on this one, if you install something that causes a problem it shouldn't be a warranty issue, but it should not void the entire truck warranty, nor should the void remain if you change back to stock filters or install the aftermarket filter so that it does not cause the problem again. My $.02 worth.
JP

DmaxMaverick
06-03-2004, 19:57
I've been using an Amsoil air filter for over 60K on my '01 Duramax. No problems at all. I clean it once a year, whether it needs it or not.

One thing I noticed right away, was the filterminder. Before, with the OEM filter element (brand new), the minder would suck in about 1/8". After changing to the Amsoil, it hasn't moved off "new" since. I even put the OEM back in to make sure it was working. It was.

I've never found any grit in the intake pipe, which I wiped with a little filter oil for checking the filter purpose. It still has the original (60K old) sticky oil film in there, which is spotless. I expected at least a little grit, even with a good filter. Can't say I was dissapointed.

I can't say anything about the other brands, but oiled foam works for me.

Turbo Al
06-07-2004, 08:13
20,000 miles with the K & N and no problems at all. I did over oil it once and had a heart attack at the pool of red fluid under the truck :eek:
Al

HD-Nate
06-08-2004, 07:30
There is an easy solution for over oiled filters. When you buy a filter, buy two. While one is in the truck, over oil the other one all you want,. Put it in a doubled plastic grocery sack and let it drain until your next time to change.

OR

Keep you paper filter, replace with the paper filter when cleaning your oiled filter. Let the oiled filter sit in the plastic grocery sack for a couple days, (I usually waited until the next weekend).

Been using K&N