PDA

View Full Version : 180 Degree Thermostat?

Texasdeere
02-17-2005, 08:46
I didn't turn up much on my search.

I was wondering if anyone was running a 180 degree thermostat in the Dmax? Can you do this? And if so, what part number should I ask for?

Thanks,

DmaxMaverick
02-17-2005, 11:34
Welcome aboard Texasdeere!

To answer your question, I have not heard of anyone doing this. The part # would depend on the brand. I don't think the dealer will offer a stat other than the OEM range.

OK now. Why would you want to change stat's? I have heard of no occasions the Duramax had any problem with managing temps, under any condition. A few owners claimed to see "higher" temps, but even those were nowhere near overheating. Lowering the coolant temp will probably have a large negative impact on performance and economy, and would probably cause problems with any future engine warranty complaints.

I've driven mine, with a 12K high profile 5'er in tow through Death Valley in the hottest part of summer more than once. Never had any issues. I was more concerned with the tires melting off the truck than the engine.

Texasdeere
02-17-2005, 14:21
Thanks for the info, DM

No problems, Just wondering if it was something Dmax owners did to thier trucks. In the past I changed out the 195 for a 180 in my 91 Chevy Gasser and the 180 swap was common with us Dodge diesel owners at least on pre 2003 models. I just figued like most probably that other than emissions there was no good reason for an engine to run at 195 to 200 degrees and over the long run with everything running a little cooler every
would last longer, the coolant, rubber and plastic pieces on the engine and it might even perform a little better.

You are right though, the engine and engine management systems on todays vehicles are so complex, and are designed and engineered to run at exact temperatures. Antifreeze is better now days and holds up to the heat as well as gasket materials and engine oils.

I guess I need to try and let go of my old school hotrod way of thinking.

More Power
02-17-2005, 14:56
The Duramax uses two differently designed & sized t-stats having a staggered temperature rating - 1st opens at 180 F, 2nd-185 F, both full open at 230 F.

MP

Texasdeere
03-02-2005, 07:47
Just wondering what is normal. 05 Dmax going down the road 60 plus mph gauge indicates 205 to 210 degrees empty. City driving indicates about 190 degrees. OAT is about 70 to 75 degrees.

More Power
03-02-2005, 08:13
There is some variability in gauge calibration. Consider the gauge reading an approximate value. A Tech II scan tool or Predator can be used to determine what the sensor is producing and what ECT value the ECM is responding to.

MP