PDA

View Full Version : Quick Heats are here. Look what I found.

Randee of the Redwoods
12-12-2003, 14:17
Kennedy's Quick Heat universal glow plugs arrived. Left work early today and with the remaining 30 minutes of daylight, I managed to swap in 3 of them(the easiest to get to. I'll have to go back and retighten that third one). I'm having symptoms of non-functioning plugs, so here we go.
First 3 screwed right out, replacements screwed right in. Good. First old three not swelled, seem ok, covered in black carbon dust. Good. Stamped "9G". Hmmm...not good. I'm suddenly sick to my stomach thinking of what may come when I get to the bad plugs. I suppose with the electronic controller they were ok at the time. Problem is, I can't tell if they are original. But I thought, please correct me since I'm wrong, that 9G's weren't used after a certain year. Or is it just that my truck is before that year?

Jim P
12-12-2003, 15:42
My truck is a 95 and it had 9gs in it. If it makes you feel any better, none of my 9gs were swelled but one was burned out.

rjschoolcraft
12-12-2003, 16:26
My 95 had 9g's until last Saturday. None of them swelled.

GARY PAGE
12-12-2003, 16:57
I have the AC 60Gs from Autozone. They did not work well in cold weatler but with the DP cold weather mod they work great. No dependence on sole source parts.

Randee of the Redwoods
12-12-2003, 18:14
That's cool on the 9G's. I'll test them all when they are all swapped out to see how many burned out ones there were. From the way it's starting, there has to be at least one because it starts the same way my 6.2 did before the plugs were changed.
The 6.2 survived one of the worst East Coast snow storms of all time last year on the 6.2s with nary a problem, but the mechanical controller had to do with that. I'll try out these Quick Heats for the 94 and see how it goes.

tom.mcinerney
12-12-2003, 18:37
My '95 also had 9Gs. Probably the aftermarket parts people clearing out their inventory.

rjschoolcraft
12-12-2003, 20:20
Randee,

As I posted in another topic, I found the connectors for the short jumper wires to the #4 and #6 plugs melted and shorted. That is probably why my truck was stumbling on cold starts recently. You may find something similar.

Barry Nave
12-13-2003, 05:48
I have #8cyl 9G plug that wont come out.
But all new glow for the 7 that works start up fine.

Marty Lau
01-12-2004, 12:34
I replaced my 9g's this weekend with Kennedy's quick heat. All the 9g's came out no swelling. The three under the turbo mount where a pain even with the turbo off. The heat shields made it tougher plus the Kennedy plugs are longer with the way the spade connector hooks on. One I had to grind down the heat shield flange to get it on the new glow plugs, it hit the fender. All are on and now just need to finsh getting things all put back so I can see how the truck runs.

ucdavis
01-13-2004, 14:56
my '95 (9/95 actually, per mfgr's tag on the chassis) had 9Gs. Due to the low mileage when I changed to JK's plugs I am pretty sure they were OEM installed in Detroit.

BigMikeO
01-13-2004, 17:30
MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR GLOW PLUG WIRES.

I recently replaced all the glow plugs in my truck because of hard starting at about 35 degrees. When doing that I found out that there was only 1 bad, but 5 wires had completely rotted out. I had to replace most of the wiring for the glow plugs. I replaced with 10 Gauge high temp wires "a little overkill but I figured since I was doing it"

Kennedy
01-14-2004, 07:00
Originally posted by BigMikeO:
MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR GLOW PLUG WIRES.

I recently replaced all the glow plugs in my truck because of hard starting at about 35 degrees. When doing that I found out that there was only 1 bad, but 5 wires had completely rotted out. I had to replace most of the wiring for the glow plugs. I replaced with 10 Gauge high temp wires "a little overkill but I figured since I was doing it" Note of caution: I believe that the OE wiring is fuselink wire, or at least fuselink protected. When new, you will see writing on the wire inicating so. I have not investigated further to see the details. IIRC, it's marked .8mm fuselink or similar.

sbigos
01-14-2004, 17:27
Replaced my '94 6.5TD OEM plugs a few weeks ago with Kennedy quick heats. I was surprised none were stuck and all the old plugs tested ok. This truck actually starts worse now with the new Kennedy plugs, but then I have other issues unresolved so far - DTC 35 about every 5 miles and miserable smoky starting in anything below about 50 degrees F, so I can't fault the plugs definitively. This will be my 3rd IP in only 100k miles if it turns out to be the culprit, so I'll likely just trade it in and be done with it.

BUZZ
01-14-2004, 19:47
My 94 has never started right since my one and only IP change. Original pump lasted 100k and this one is just plain different in starting.
I keep my plugged up and it helps. The one thing I notice is when starting it seems to be retard in time. It spins and starts to fire but acts like not enough fuel or advance. When you release start it does catch but still not right.
Check everything.
Buzz
Ps I still do like my burb though

damork
01-16-2004, 13:42
My 95 came from the factory with 9G's and a dealer warranty issue had the dealer installing 9G's back in 2000 - still in inventory.

I installed 60G's when I got nervous about the old ones but still had problems starting. Installed a new AC relay and that fixed the problem. It was probably that from the start.

jlog
01-16-2004, 18:25
damork

what is the ac relay I have a fried with a 97 the is having the same hard start problems this might be something he should check

john