PDA

View Full Version : First Oil Change

Austin 12345
02-17-2005, 18:55
When should the first oil change be done on a brand new lly? Meaning at how many miles.

Also is synthetic put in at the factory?

If synthetic is what it leaves the plant with wouldn't this mean much longer break in times, ect..?
Thanks..

madmatt
02-17-2005, 19:06
NOT TO BE RUDE, BUT YOU PROBABLY DON'T WANT TO START THIS ONE AGAIN. MY ADVICE THOUGH IS TO CHANGE IT @ 3000 THE FIRST TIME CHANGING YOUR FUEL FILTER AS WELL, THEN GO EVERY 5K W/ FUEL FILTER CHANGES EVERY OTHER SERVICE. NO, SYNTHETIC IS NOT PUT IN IT @ THE FACTORY.

BozDMAX
02-18-2005, 05:42
Since you are just starting out, pick up a Fumoto Oil Valve from Kennedy and you will save a lot of messes on your skid-plate and floor when you change fluids.

kennedydiesel.com

Bugsy
02-18-2005, 05:52
DON'T FORGET to grease it.
My grease joints were nearly dry from the factory.
After I greased it the truck felt like it had REAL power steering then.

Austin 12345
02-18-2005, 06:03
thanks for the replies, I should wait awhile to use synthetic oil then right?

Kennedy
02-18-2005, 06:43
The only reason to delay synthetic oil use is the cost/economics of running it short term.

I dumped my LLY oil at 85 miles, 325 miles, and again at 3k with filter at 3k. I'll do it again at 6k.

Early fluid/filter changes help flush out the dirt, and break in wear rather than letting it circulate till the filter gets it.

I also install a Filtermag on my fuel, oil, and trans filters to ensure that all of the ferrous metals present regardless of micron rating are captured and held.