PDA

View Full Version : Just in 320,000 km or 7 yr additional protection

letsgo
06-02-2004, 13:13
Guess I'm the first on the block to receive GM notice (04039) for the extended protection on fuel injectors (200,000 miles for USA).

nice to know it's there if you need it!!!

good luck

[ 06-02-2004, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: letsgo ]

More Power
06-03-2004, 08:45
I think this new policy is great, and that it demonstrates that GM is listening.

I also think it indicates what current owner expectations are. The fuel injectors used in the 6.2/6.5 were expected to produce a useful life of between 75,000 and 150,000 miles. Fuel injection dealers recommended changing them at the lower end of that range (wouldn't you know), to preserve fuel economy, startability and performance due to a deterioration of the spray patterns over time.

One of the things I've wanted to do here is post a poll asking people what their expectations were for fuel injector life. May yet do that....

MP

Heartbeat Hauler
06-03-2004, 09:19
Holy Cow! I hope I get one of those letters.

Does everyone with an '01 get the same extended warranty or do you have to get the letter?

I have read about the scuttle butt that GM may do this, but this is the first I've read of an actual letter.
GM just went up points in my book, and if I get a letter they'll go up in points to the MAX....pun intended.
JP

mdadgar
06-03-2004, 09:53
My expectation for fuel injectors is that they should last the life of the motor.

I know of no one, even in the racing community, who considers injectors a "wear item".

- Mark

Manfred
06-03-2004, 12:06
I agree with Mark, they should last and last.....
As an example, I have two Mercedes Turbodiesels, 84 and 85 vintage, each with over 260,000 miles on it. Recently I questioned if I should sevice the injectors and the response was: Leave them as they are, they are OK.

DmaxMaverick
06-03-2004, 19:51
Just got my letter today. It's for real. Excellent!

ibelyea
06-03-2004, 20:59
Got mine too!!!. Filed it away so that If I need it I wont have to search all over. Put it in my Service manual under injectors.

red sled
06-04-2004, 12:41
GM notice (04039)

Dear Chevrolet Customer:

As the owner of a 2002 model year Chevrolet Silverado, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2002 model year Chevrolet Silverado vehicles, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel engine, may experience vehicle service engine soon (SES) light illumination, low engine power, hard start, and/or fuel in crankcase, requiring injector replacement, as a result of high fuel return rates due to fuel injector body cracks or ball seat erosion.

This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What we
Have done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel injectors. If this condition occurs on your 2002 Chevrolet Silverado, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel engine, within 7 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 200,000 miles, whichever comes first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.

What you
Should do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special policy condition.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center between the hours of 8:00 AM and 11:00 PM, EST, Monday through Friday. They can be reached at 1.800.630.2438. The deaf, hearing impaired, or speech impaired should call Text Telephone (TTY), 1.800.833.2438.

Customer Reply Form: The enclosed customer reply form identifies your vehicle. Presentation of this form to your dealer will assist in making the necessary correction in the shortest possible time. If you no longer own this vehicle, please let us know by completing the form and mailing it back to us.

Courtesy Transportation: If your vehicle is within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty your dealer may provide you with shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation while your vehicle is at the dealership for this repair. Please refer to your Owner

1BADDMAX
06-04-2004, 15:03
I received the letter in the mail today.

KenZ
06-04-2004, 18:30
I'm a little concerned about the wording. What are the chances that you have injector problems other than those specified by GM?

"as a result of high fuel return rates due to fuel injector body cracks or ball seat erosion."

Is this a high percentage of the problem? The only problem? Or is there still a chance that you can have injector problems for some other reason that would be denied repair under warranty?

Anyone know? I had been planning on selling my truck before 100,000 due to injector concern. It would be nice not to have to worry about it. I have had no problems with my truck at all.

Is this basically a blanket coverage on the injectors or a carefully worded letter to get us to bring our problems to the GM service shops? I know I am a skeptic.

Thanks for any response.

Corey S
06-04-2004, 20:51
I got my letter today, too. 7yr/200,000mi for the injectors.

I'm definitely glad they made this commitment to the early Duramax's. I had a couple injectors replaced at about 55,000mi, and just recently all of them replaced at 72,000mi. Now the truck runs better that it ever has.

Aluminator
06-05-2004, 16:19
I got mine also and am happy to hear that a few guys around here will be getting their money back for the repairs they had to pay for!!

Dennis

hohiso
06-05-2004, 16:23
Thumbs up for GM. Just got my letter extending the warranty to 7/200,000. Looks a legitimate and straightforward positive step IMHO. GM had to replace all the injectors on my 2001 at low mileage...and I was already wondering what to do when 5 years/100,000 mi got close. Now I can at least wait until 6 years/150,000 to make a change.
Regards,
Al smile.gif

OC_DMAX
06-05-2004, 16:57
MP Wrote: "One of the things I've wanted to do here is post a poll asking people what their expectations were for fuel injector life. May yet do that...."

From my perspective, it is really a two part question. First, how long do you expect them to last. Second (and more importantly), how much would you expect to pay to have 8 new injectors installed.

Example, if it only cost $100 to replace all 8 injectors, then if the injectors only lasted 20,000 mile that would be fine in my book. On the other hand, with reports of $4,000 to $6,000 to replace all 8 injectors, these things had better last 500k miles.

The example above bounds the problem and helps define where GM missed the mark (in my opinion). One needs to look at the cost per mile. To resolve the problem, GM needs to make replacement of the injectors a "low cost" item or make sure they last a long time. They have tried to address the replacement cost (labor) of the injectors with the LLY. Next they need to drive down the unit cost of the injectors (pressure on Bosch and minimize internal GM markups).

Just my thoughts,
Alan

On edit: With input from Letsgo below, I have raised the repair amount to $6,000 above (from $4,000). If GM had advised prospective owners of new DMAX vehicles that at 100K miles it was going to cost them $6,000 to repair a vehicle, I am not sure they would have too many buyers. Either substantially lower the injector costs or substantially raise to miles between replacement. The conclusion is still the same.

[ 06-06-2004, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: OC_DMAX ]

letsgo
06-06-2004, 04:05
How about $548.00 x 8 = $4384,00 us plus (GM says 8hr labour) @ $85.00 = $680.00 the mechanic that did mine took 2 days (plus 8 days screwing around)so we are at 5000 to 6000 dollars US. in Canadian you can add $2000 more, oh well.

good luck

truck_n
06-07-2004, 11:31
Thanks to GM for finally standing up to a huge problem. It has been a nightmare for me. Commenting as an April 2001 buyer of a d/max and high mileage driver, (235,000 as of this date) oc_dmax is right. It is a price vs time relationship. I would have expected at least 250,000 miles on injectors and on the high side, maybe $2000 to replace. I can guarantee you, I would have never bought the GMC if I knew I needed to spend $6000 for less than 100,000 miles of service. I have invested over $13,000 dollars and 8 weeks of downtime working through the injector problems and dealer ineptness since August of 2002. And the frustration is I love the truck!! It has been PROBLEM FREE other than the injectors. If I can get my money back from GM, they will have one happy and life long customer. It's one thing to make a mistake, It's a whole lot more to make it right.

Bigwheel
06-07-2004, 19:11
Forget the letter!!!
I just returned from the dealer to have my truck checked out. 8 months ago I had #7 cylinder out-of balance, told me no codes, everything fine, now today after getting truck back tonight, I stated still hesitating, low mpg, and possibly loss of fuel, when truck sits for a few days, 2 marks were off the fuel gage,no puddle on ground, now my report says, no codes, everything fine, ( no data about out of balance cylinder #7 as in Last October), no codes from the fuel tank, tech test drove truck 11 miles, got 14 miles per gallon, he did not call me about what he found, did not ask about oil analysis, ran fuel pressure test, ok, passed fuel restriction test, so I don't know what the deal is, but if anyone has no codes, don't bother bringing in your truck, they will charge you to bring it in and check it, and further more, they are taking it personal about the service bulliten, people are just bringing in their trucks, and having no codes, well to them anyway. All I have to say, thanks for your unconditional support. :rolleyes: :( :confused:

HD-Nate
06-08-2004, 07:10
Bigwheel,

Sounds like you need a different dealer and service department.

Mine had rough starts last winter, they found 1 bad injector and replaced all 8 before the bulletin came out to do so. They also gave me a brand new Tahoe to drive around in for 2 days while the injectors were shipped in.

I am fortunate to have a GMC exclusive truck dealership in town, they know their stuff :D

NFLDMAX
06-08-2004, 11:09
Just got my letter last week as well. I hope I don't ever need it....60,000 miles and running great ;)

Murray the Cop
06-08-2004, 12:32
What about 03 models? Should I be expecting a letter?

kerry witherspoon
06-09-2004, 16:52
so is this only in the U.S or Canada too.

hawkeye43
06-09-2004, 17:12
I too got my letter last week. With all the talk injectors going bad and my truck with 98000 miles it was a great feeling that they are going to stand behind for another 100000. I sent an oil sample in to be tested for fuel, came back o.k. Guess i will kept running it hard and have fun with it :cool:

Bigwheel
06-09-2004, 17:57
Hawkeye43:
read this previous post on this forum from dmaxallitech, 4th from the bottom of page:
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007072

fuel in oil pan, guess we better check our dipstick from time to time.., oil analysis not always show's whats up.... :rolleyes: :eek:
Later

Brucec
06-24-2004, 10:19
It is June 24 and I have A 2001 Duramax and have received no letter to date. I did not take the extended warranty but the Dmax engine is warranted for 100,000 miles is that letter extending this original warranty to 200,000 miles just was wondering I have 48,000 to date and counting no problems to date but have been worried about the injectors.

dieseldog62
06-25-2004, 09:08
This special policy only applies to inj. failure due to high fuel return flow rate, not complete eng.

Brucec
06-28-2004, 16:53
What my question was is the 200,000 mile warranty on the injectors true??? I have received no notice, letter or anything from GM in regard to this and my dealer knows nothing about any such thing??? I have a 2001 Silverado Duramax.

dieseldog62
06-28-2004, 18:23
Yeah , it's true. On '01 & '02 models, covers injectors under certain circumstances. I don't have the bulletin here at home , but I do have it at work . I'll try to remember to post it from work for any body else who may need it, But don't expect too much from it . The wording leaves alot of room for GM to deny coverage.

dieseldog62
06-29-2004, 13:16
The Special Policy Bulletin # is 04039. If your dealer still can't find it ,maybe I can e-mail you a copy

TeamWFO
07-10-2004, 11:38
I have an 04 GMC with Dmax, and it appears that the letter being sent out pertains to 01-02, maybe 03's. My engine is the older LB7 (Built in 12/03 - bought 1/04). Anybody know if they are sending letters to 04 buyers or if this even pertains to 04 LB7 owners?

Thanks,
Brad

Rig Pic (http://www.team-wfo-racing.com/users/brad/pictures/wforig1.jpg)

dieseldog62
07-14-2004, 18:39
Last I heard it was only 01 & 02 models, But that could change as it did on 6.5L inj. pumps.

Tough Guy
12-30-2004, 17:36
TTT

Da Boy ;)