PDA

View Full Version : 04 LLY K2500 notes

carco
06-04-2004, 16:31
Nice truck! Love the power, decent ride, assembled well power everything. All the interior conviences are fantastic, DIC, cup holders, power outlets, rear radio access. Rear folding seats are nice, good storage under seat bottom. 4 doors are great! Pulls ATVs to WV mountains and 5 people almost 500#s like its loafing along and it is loafing at that load.
Things I find not as good as could be;
Do not like the shocks, 93 K2500 w/ 154000 miles original shocks do a better job. "A" pillar somewhat large, blocks vision somewhat. Fuel mileage no better than the 93,w/6.5, 3.42:1 however 04 w/ 3.73:1 has much more power and is probably useing fuel more effiently. Leather seats not quite, but almost, as comfortable as the old 93 K20 cloth buckets on long runs, say 1000 miles one way. New seats(8way),are very adjuster friendly, and the heated back is great. Small tires. Need 6 speed trans or 3.42 rear option. AC is not cold enough 85 ambient dash discharge of 60 degrees, have to have dealer chk this. If 60 degrees was the best I could get doing an AC job I would feel as if I missed something and failed. I never get less than 48 degrees for my customers! Thanks for listening. bob...

More Power
06-04-2004, 20:27
Your mileage will likely improve over the next 10K miles. Most owners see an improvement. Fuel economy in my truck improved by almost 2 mpg once it had accumulated 20,000 miles, over what it delivered during the first 5K.

Need to get you up here when I install the AC in the Project truck. Saw an automotive program on TV yesterday that suggested replacing the accumulator whenever the system has been open, due to moisture absorbed by dessicant in the accumulator. Then flush, then pull a vacuum for a period of time to evacuate the system......

Do AC techs do all this when putting a system together?

MP

drgracr
06-05-2004, 17:48
all i do is put plastic caps in the lines that are open, then pull a vac for 20-30 minutes before charging. have never had any problems doing it this way, besides it keeps the cost down..

i also agree the alli needs a 6 speed, it would be nice when running empty. I found on a trip last summer average speed of 53mph 1500rpm, the truck averaged 26mpg.. I was empressed for a 3500 truck, now this would be cool at 70

dakotakid
06-05-2004, 20:44
I would also like to see the 6 speed and be able to run lower rpm's while cruising at(or somewhere close to) the speed limit!! And how about sqeezing a few more gallons into the fuel tank?

carco
06-09-2004, 08:27
MP, we do not replace accumulator after opening the system unless replaceing the the compressor or we believe the system was left open unproteced or the system is dirty due to exploded compressor or desicant bags. When compressor is replaced all maufacturers require accum replacement for warranty purposes. Most manufactures do not recommend flushing unless absolutly necessary, problem being it is hard to remove all flush agent which then degrades the ac oil and kills the compressor. Oh, yes, if I had the time to leave the business, I would be in your part of the country in a heartbeat!!! well as fast as a D/A could carry me. bob....

More Power
06-09-2004, 10:03
Thanks for the input.

The system has been open for about two years, but with plastic covers over the ports. It was an operational R12 system before being disassembled, and the compressor, condenser and all underhood lines will be new.

I'm planning to install R134a refrigerant when it is re-assembled.

So, please let me know what the recommendation would be for replacing/re-using the accumulator.

Thanks,

MP

carco
06-10-2004, 10:52
MP, possible the desicant in the old accumulator is not compatable w/R134a. However, the oil is not compatable R12 to R134a and how much moisture is already trapped in the old accum, on a new fresh install such as you are performing I would definitely replace the accumulator new. Make sure all parts are dry and clean lube all o-rings and seals w/ R12 mineral oil to assemble. Add proper amount of PAG oil, do not use ester oil, GM/ Delco does no recommend ester oil, most companies compressors remanned or new will not be warranted w/ ester oil either, nor warranted w/out a new accumulator. Start the charge @
R12 amount x .9-.25lbs. = R134a lbs., per Delco and adjust from there. Inlet / outlet of accumulator lines, +/- 5 degrees after system stabilization, if warmer outlet may add 1/4# freon let stabilize and rechk temps. Air discharge 38-45 degrees hopefully. bob.....

LanduytG
06-10-2004, 14:05
The Ally will be a 6 speed for 2006. I have the inside scoop on this. It is being tested and debugged right now.

Greg