PDA

View Full Version : Engine knock and Smoke

Spartus
06-12-2004, 00:04
Today when driving home from a friends house I thought the truck was noisier than normal while stopped at stop lights. It has a louder KNOCK KNOCK to it.... Also, once I got home I left the truck running for a few minutes while I unloaded it. I noticed blueish/white smoke coming from the exhaust.

Is this the famous STUCK/LEAKY INJECTOR syndrome?
I checked the oil, and no sign of it being higher than the FULL mark yet.

BTW, the truck has around 18,700 miles and 530 hours on it.. I recently did my 2nd fuel filter change, last week.

Thanks for any input.

-Tom

More Power
06-12-2004, 14:13
Yes, it does sound suspiciously like a faulty injector. If the situation continues, after a couple of ignition cycles and a cold start, I'd schedule a dealer visit.

They can use a Tech II scan tool to compare fuel rates of all eight injectors, and can selectively disable each injector to help them locate a problem. Within minutes, they should have a diagnosis.

MP

Spartus
06-15-2004, 04:02
Cool, thanks.. I had no idea it was that easy.. I wish I could do things like that with my OBD1 on my LT1 engine...

northofthe52nd
06-16-2004, 12:38
About a month ago I started to have the same problem with injector knock. I drove 60 miles to the dealer and barely made it. About every 10 miles, I would lose 10 mph. By the time I got to the dealer I could have walked faster. All injectors were replaced. $100 deductible on the Duramax and $100 deductible on the main warranty.
2002 2500 Allison auto 41K miles. Problem solved.

rickdlance
06-16-2004, 15:35
I would not wait. I would have it at the dealer tommorow. They can go from bad to worse in a couple of miles. No since taking a chance.

jbplock
06-17-2004, 07:27
Originally posted by northofthe52nd:
... All injectors were replaced. $100 deductible on the Duramax and $100 deductible on the main warranty... northofthe52nd,
Just curious ... did you pay a total of $200 for your repair? If so I believe the dealer overcharged you. There is only one $100 deductible for engine warranty after 36Kmiles. Also, since you have a 02 you may be eligible for the latest 200Kmile injector warranty with no deductible in which case you should get you money back