PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter Study Underway, Please Help!!!

SPICER
06-17-2004, 18:59
I know I have been a stranger lately, but I got an offer I could not refuse and I want to let you guys in on it.

I have been working for quite some time on an air filter study. My goal has been to get to the bottom of the controversey of "which air filter is the best." There are a lot of claims and a lot of misleading advertising. Some claim to flow more air but our Duramax engine gets all the air it needs with the stock filter. In fact, on dyno tests with the AIR FILTER REMOVED there was NO INCREASE IN HORSE POWER. So what is an aftermarket filter good for? Well, unless it passes the same amount of air as a stock filter AND filters the dirt better, it IS NOT BETTER.

In fact, most claims of "flows more air" essentially means "passes more dirt" for us diesel guys.

I have spearheaded an attempt in the recent past to do an independednt comparison of the filtering efficiency of MANY different filters. People have donated filters, scales, a $1,500 industrial blower, etc... I had a mini laboratory all for the sake of finding out which air filters lived up to their hype. But the problems.........

There were Many problems getting GOOD data. I was doing long 24 hour runs filtering atmospheric dust...the problem...from day to day dust levels in the atmosphere change dramatically. Then there was humidity issues. The humidity could change the weight of a paper filter by MANY GRAMS in the course of an hour depending on changing temperatures, etc... My whole grand plan was failing because of uncontrollable variables.

The ONLY way to do a real, scientific comparison of multiple air filters is to follow the SAE J726 air filter test exactly. These machines cost $285,000. To hire an independent lab to test a single filter costs in excess of $1500. We want to test a VARIETY of brands and types!!

I called Testand Corp. in Rhode Island and asked for help with my research project. Testand MAKES these $285,000 machines and sells them to bigger filter companies and auto makers. These ARE the machines needed to do the SAE J726 air filter tests.

In a very kind way I was educated of the fact that my results would be full of uncontrollable variables (as I obviously discovered). I explained to them my goal of doing an unbiased, scientific comparison in order to clear the muddy waters of all the hype, advertising and marketing half truths.

I must have sparked an interest because a gentleman named Ken from Testand Corp. called me 2 days ago. He told me I got him REALLY interested in doing a comparison study. He told me "Send me the filters you want tested and I will do the tests and return the data!!!!"

This is an offer that I only dreamed of!!! I have some filters I will be sending right away. He has time to do the tests for us for about the next month, so he wants the filters ASAP. I will be sending an OE AC Delco, a new style Amsoil, and a UNI. As a part of the test these filters are loaded with test dirt. A re-useable filter could probably be returned to the lender, but it WILL BE dirty!!! The filters do need to be new for the SAE J726 test. This test will determine air flow, filtering efficiency, dirt holding capacity, etc.... Ken is willing to test any filter for a Duramax or Ford PSD. If you are willing to send a filter for testing speak up here and I will give you the address in Rhode Island for Testand Corp. It would be easiest to send the filter directly to them. Off the top of my head we are still needing a K&N, AFE, Baldwin paper, Napa, and any other I have not mentioned. A UMP Donaldson has already been arranged.

I am excited about this. FINALLY we will soon be able to discern the TRUTH!!!!! Please help if you are able. I have spent countless hundreds on this project already out of my own pocket with nothing to show for it but a new found respect for the testing process. This is an opportunity we should NOT pass up!!!
Sincerely, Arlen Spicer

Kennedy
06-19-2004, 04:22
Arlen

I have a Uni for you. Either stop in for Open House, or drop me a line and I'll ship it to you.

SPICER
06-19-2004, 04:33
JK, I think the UNI is covered. I will contact you if the UNI falls through. Thank You for the offer though! When is your open house? SPICER