PDA

View Full Version : Duramax questions

Tom Hallock
06-19-2004, 20:14
OK, now that I'm getting a 2004 Chev. with the D/A; I have a couple of questions. When I was test driving it I was told that I didn't have to wait the Glo plugs to warm up but to start it right away. But, when reading the manual it said to wait for theplugs to warm up. So who's right/
Also what kind of chips might I add and what kind of perforamnce can I expect from them.
I tow a 30' fiver in mountains an flatlands. Trailer weighs about 9000# an looking down the road for a larger rig as we fulltime.
Many Thanx.
Tom Hallock

HBruns
06-19-2004, 20:29
Tom,
The glow plugs in the new LLY Duramax engine are designed to heat up much faster than is typical. That does not mean you shouldn't wait for the light to go out before cranking, it just means the light goes out sooner.

It sounds like whoever told you to fire it up like a gasser had about half the relevant information.

HBruns

More Power
06-20-2004, 11:17
You can't hurt anything by cranking before the "wait to start" light goes out, but a cold engine might start a little better and produce a little less (or no) white smoke when started cold after the light goes out. I've started my Duramax without waiting (purposely) down to very low temperatutes, and discovered it starts very well without waiting - even down to single digit overnight lows. Reducing white smoke during a cold start is an emissions goal as well as to help improve diesel acceptance among the non-diesel owning public.

Increasing power..... I would recommend you drive your truck for a while to learn its operating characteristics and fully determine the reliability/driveability of the vehicle before modifying anything.

Then, you can add any one of a number of performance products, including gauges. Being able to interpret exhaust temperature is vital to preserving the health of the engine when running with products that increase power/fuel.

The Edge (with Attitude monitor), DSG Power box (VanAaken modules), and the various available programmers all increase power in very real sense, but you should probably not tow while using the higher levels of power selectable in each product.

Good luck with your new truck!

MP

Tom Hallock
06-20-2004, 11:40
Thanks, I appreciate the answers, though what was I thinking. Guess I was hoping, but I don't have a 2004 but a 2003.