PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter change - - don't bother

Turbo Al
06-21-2004, 13:12
So I figure it's about time to change the little begger and yes I am doing it early approx. 10,000 miles on the old one. I got out the 2001 Diesel Supplement book to fill in the date and mileage and I got to reading the thing.
O.K. 15,000 miles is the standard OR
"Maintenance intervals, checks, inspections and recommeded fluids and lubricants as prescribed in this manual are necessary to keep your vehicle in good working condition. ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY FAILURE TO FOLLOW RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE MAY NOT BE COVERED BY WARRANTY."

Fine but there is a little blurb by the Replace fuel filter and it says "An Emission Control Service. (See footnote.) why would they need a footnote on a fuel filter? So over to the footnote section:
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency or the California Air Resources Board has determined that failure to perform this maintenance item will not nullify the emissions warranty or limit recall liability prior to the completion of the vehicle's useful life. We, however, urge that all recommended maintenance services be performed at the indicated intervals and the maintenance be recorded.

So don't bother to change the filter :rolleyes:
Al

More Power
06-21-2004, 13:55
Sounds like it was written by a liability claims attorney - not a diesel engineer. :rolleyes:

MP