PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Temps Seem High Just plain driving

thechevyhdman
09-17-2002, 00:08
Ok weather today pretty humid but not hotter than 80. Tranny temps around 195 almost 200. default level juice(Just turn key and drive) Not hot dogging it or going very fast.Seems like the tranny never really got above 170 for any kind of driving towing etc. Fluid is clean smells really sweet almost sugary. Filter changed at 5,000 miles truck only has 21.100 miles on her. Thinking of it today it seems to be increasing everyday little by little. It has yet no matter what, to go to 200 or past that but to me abnormal is 195 with easy driving. My 2001 4L80E snowplowing like a SOB even when stuck never got above 180 NO MATTER WHAT. Cant compare apples to oranges, (Allison vs. Hyrdamatic) But what should I look for, Fluids clean so I doubt the the cooler is clogged, Was thinking of moving the cooler to a different spot seeming its almost entirely blocked by the crossbar on the grille, Anyone notice big temp difference with relocating the cooler? Could tranny be slipping slightly causing heat, have noticed but thought maybe juice related, have been having some horrible downshifts with the juice(takes along time and isnt a clean downshift). Any Ideas? TIA Bill

Kennedy
09-17-2002, 07:25
It seems that the warmer the ambient temps, the higher the trans temp will run. Mine runs closer to 150 by night, and 180 by day. This is approx 10

deerhunter7
09-17-2002, 18:42
The humidity really seems to affect the tranny temp. I've noticed 30 to 40 degree change from hot and humid to cool and low humdity. I think this Ally could use a bigger cooler. GM says up to 210 degrees is normal..If oil is clean I don't think you are hurting anything.Several people and my self have seen 210 , but when I talked to GM they said as long as your not going over 210 all is well in Allisonville.. ;)

xamarud
09-18-2002, 08:09
I have a 4000 watt generator mounted right in front of the grill on my D/A, in 100 degree air the allison finally got to 200 degrees, the same as the water. I don't think the bow tie hurts it at all. FYI

mdrag
09-18-2002, 17:53
thechevyhdman,

I am confused by your statement: ..."default level juice(Just turn key and drive)"...Are you saying that you have to program the Juice's power level EVERY time you start your truck? It was my understanding that once you program the Juice, that level is active until you reprogram the settings - so turning off the ignition does not reset the Juice to some default level or level 0.

Kennedy,

The 180 degree reading that you mention - is that from your dash gauge or from a Tech2 reading? The small trans temp gauge can be difficult to read - there are 3 hash marks between the 150 and 200 degree positions, therefore each mark is 12.5 degrees...150-162.5-175-187.5-200...

I have the deep pan/Transynd installed. Running empty at highway speeds, my gauge would show between 187.5 to just less than 200 - outside temps from the 40's to 105 degrees. Around town with stop and go driving and not using T/H - usually right at 200 or a hair above. The presence or absence of the LUND screen front does not make a difference.

thechevyhdman
09-18-2002, 18:03
I dunno MDrag, not to knock Juice I think there product is great but Some detailed instructions/directions would be helpful I mean Geez 700 bucks and I get a worthless sheet of paper telling me nothing but a few things. If it stays in the last level stored, then MY engine and tranny are probabaly toast.I was thinking of selling my juice anyways (V3.0) I dunno I thought it erased or went to a stock or low level every time you shut it off. If not then Im sure my trannys hot because Im doing some towing while in level four unbequested to me. I always thought if you didnt set it when you start your truck it went to the lowest level. Wish I could get some starightforward answers from someone who knows.

GMC-2002-Dmax
09-18-2002, 18:20
The JUICE stays on whatever level you program it on in both the tow/haul and normal modes. Even if you dissconnect you battery or remove it completely from the truck. It stays !!!!

The guys with 6 speed manual trans. use an auto truck to program it then they install in the manual truck.

Hope this helps,

GMC ;)

mackin
09-18-2002, 18:33
Bill,

Yo man give me a call, I can't DUI I'm all ready in trouble, gonna be a tea drinker, LONG ISLAND ICE TEA,that is..... :eek: ......If this doesn't help you,we'll get together.....

The current level (s) that you selected is retained if the JUICE is not disconnected.....If you disconnect the Juice, reattach stock connectors, then go back to the JUICE installed you will have to go through programming again....No need to reset each time you start,if you don't disconnect.....

"Default mode" is obtained with the "R" setting method, or with the Juice first hooked up with out a setting selected, I think, can't remember.....The default is 60HP no timing???????

I hardly believe you toasted your tranny,but it is confused, power no power constantly learning.....Put the box on leave that bad boy on, set at level 4 tow haul, (which you hate)for hot rodding...... Level 2 normal so when you tow it's a ok.....Just an idea bro.....

MAC

GMC-2002-Dmax,

Will the EARLIER boxes do that?? I thought it had to be version? Or above??

[ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>