PDA

View Full Version : My first long Tow

denverdale
09-18-2002, 08:41
I just have to post this information as I am really pleased with the trucks performance. I have a 2002 Silverado Ext/Short 2500HD, D/A. Just got back from a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton Natl. Parks. Started in Denver and went up through Cheyene, Rawlins, Lander to Yellowstone. Returned through Jackson, Vernal, Utah, Craig Colorado, and home. I was towing a 8500# travel trailer and usually only ran about 65 MPH. Best mileage towing was 12.9 and worst was 9.8 (that was running into a strong wind between Rawlins and Lander Wy.) Towing usually got between 11.6 to 12.9 MPG. Driving around in the parks without the trailer, I got 21.7 and 20.7 MPG. What a Truck!!! On the return leg, I drove I-70 from Dillon to Denver up through Eisenhower Tunnel. This is a long 7 to 8% grade. I pulled it at 65 MPH and still had a little pedal left.
Tranny temp stayed below 200 the whole trip, especially while using the tow/haul mode.
My old truck was a 1999 GMC 7.4L and the MPG and MPH would have been a whole different, sad story with that truck.
Thanks for reading.
Denverdale

AbqGeorge
09-18-2002, 20:34
Hey denverdale,

You're really getting me excited here. I've got a 2003 Silverado Duramax on order to replace the exact same truck with a 6.0L. I call it "the screamer". I've made four trips with the 6.0L between Albuquerque and Ft. Collins (to see grand kids). On each and every trip, on the way home between Raton and Las Vegas Nevada I invariably have 20-25 mph headwinds right smack in the face. The 6.0L will not/cannot maintain 65 mph under these circumstances. I'd let the speed bleed off to about 50 before tapping the gas pedal to force a downshift to second. "Scream" all the way back up to 70 mph at 5,000 rpm and begin the process all over again. Oh, and you get about 6.5mpg in this mode. My FW is about the same weight as your TT.

You don't happen to hang out on 2m there in Littleton do you? I'll give you a yell the next time through the "mile high". Heaven nows, I'll have enough time. Seems I always hit the 4-5pm go-home traffic.

George (KD5QE)

denverdale
09-19-2002, 06:36
George
No I don't hang out on 2M yet. I am a ham (KA0SRP) but don't have a 2M rig yet. Still trying to get my HF antenna up.
Denverdale

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: denverdale ]</p>

Colorado Kid
09-19-2002, 09:59
AbqGeorge,

You may find this hard to believe, but you'll be backing out of the trottle to take the curves going UP Raton pass on your way home, towing the 5er! Been there, done that, I love this truck! I ran 68 MPH in High gear on cruise into that never ending wind north of Los Vegas NM and got 13.5 MPG for that tank Pueblo, CO to LV,NM)pulling a 7500 Lb 25' 5'er on May 22nd this year. smile.gif

hogbreth
09-20-2002, 04:14
I pulled my 16,000# 5th wheel for 3 months and 12000 miles this summer out West from our home in Florida.Pulling in overdrive worked well on flat ground and at sealevel but as we went farther West the truck struggled as we hit headwinds and hills. On the Interstate between Oklahoma City and Amarillo the truck stayed in 4th gear the fan hollowed and we got 5 mpg. When we got to Albaq NM we purchased the juice box. for the next 2 months we pulled in level 1 in overdrive 95% of the time. Fuel milage went up to 10.5 mpg. The best part of the trip was coming down a steep grade, the same one I came down last year with my PSD, at 65mph in tow/haul with the tranny doing the grade bracking.I almost burned up the trailer brakes the previous year holding 35 to 45.