PDA

View Full Version : 2003 High Idle

conradv
09-18-2002, 10:48
Has anyone installed the high idle switch on the 2003 trucks?

And after exhaustive searching, it seems that there are people who say "don't install it, you don't want to idle a diesel, even at 1200 rpm, over 10 minutes" and those who say "install it so you don't shut off & turn on all the time, washing the cylinders"

???

conradv
09-18-2002, 12:17
Hoot - yeah I know it's been around for a few years, which brings up another question - on the 2001's there were three speeds, the 2002 two speeds (right?) - how many on the 2003?

hoot
09-18-2002, 13:11
2003 has 5 speeds with a 5th speed lockout ;)
I don't know the answer to that one. Mine does have three speeds. I think I like the second one best.

[ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Bobcat698
09-19-2002, 15:10
Can someone please clue me in on where to get the High Idle switch, how to install it, & how much it costs please??

Thank You.

I will be picking up a 2003 Chevy Tommorrow.

Garrett

AKDmax
09-19-2002, 15:23
Sure,
Check this post. http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002567
If that doesn't work, do a search for high idle and you will find plenty of info. I installed a switch that has a light on it so I could remember it's on. Looks cool to! Picked up the switch at radio shack. Heres a link: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F007%5F008%5F000&product%5Fid=275%2D731
Add a circuit and 3A fuse seemed to work better for me to get 12V power to the switch from ign 1. Installing another in a buddies truck soon... Soooo easy!!! here is a link to give you an idea of what the add a circuit looks like. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=1527&CATID=41
That pic is of the ATC size, You need the mini (a.k.a. ATM). It'll cost you about 10 bucks and an hour of your time.

[ 09-19-2002: Message edited by: AKDmax ]</p>

AOPA Roger
09-20-2002, 22:48
When I talked to GM Upfitters, they indicated there would be a change from the 01 and 02 models. Instead of swithcing 12 volts to a pin, we will be grounding a pin. And I don't think there will be any changing speeds. Hi idle or not hi idle.

He told me the pin number but I don't remember what it was off hand.

I left a message on GmUpfitters.com asking about this and got a call back in a day or two.

Maverick
09-21-2002, 01:47
AKDmax,

I didn't look at the Radio Shack link but I assume the switch you got is identical to mine but is red lighted. How did you get it to light. I tried 4 different (same style switch) and couldn't get it to light. I tried moving wires on the back of the switch and no luck. Thought maybe it was a positive groung instead of negative. I'll try the lighted one again but need your input.

ndamico
09-21-2002, 04:27
Hi,

I just got done installing my high idle and OD lockout switches..yeah its 3:30 AM..oh well. to power the high idle i ran the +12V lead to the center of the switch. i hooked the positive lead of the LED (with resistor) to the other side of the switch, along with the wire from the ECM. then i ran the ground from LED to a ground on the vehicle. Hope that helps!

Nick

odoh
09-21-2002, 09:50
Nick ~ you got just the 2 speeds? ~ odoh

AKDmax
09-21-2002, 13:07
Maverick,
There is a diagram on the back of the switch. I didn't install a resistor on the wire going to pin 71. What's up with that? did I miss something? I will take a couple pics of the switch and send them to you Mav. Check the link for the correct part # but I think it's the same as the one you have, plus the light.

AKDmax
09-21-2002, 17:59
I have updated my pics to include the switch, and add-a-circuit. In a previous post I stated that IGN 1 was the source for the 12V. IGN 0 is what was actually used. Doubt it matters as others have used IGN 1.
ndamico,
tell me more about the resistor please...

MNBowTie
09-21-2002, 23:35
Hey all,

I did the high install today (borderline nervous), but, All went pretty well Thanks to AKDmax!! smile.gif I ran ECM lead into the cab by slipping it through the brake cable grommet with a little soap on it. I connected the PIN into 71 on the side marked BLUE, or passenger side of the EMC. I followed the postings from the link AKDmax included in, this topic. AKDmax, I think ndamico, was referring to the resister as the LED light. Maverick, You need to connect the Power to the center post and the ECM lead to the top post. I originally had them reversed and had no LED light. Also, make sure your ground is good. Yep! Only got the 2 speeds 1200-ish and 1800-ish. If you

AKDmax
09-21-2002, 23:46
Glad I have been a help to someone. I have received plenty of help from the members of this site. Be careful with the switch wiring. They're all different because the ECM wire ran from the center post on my switch, and the 12V wire went to the bottom post.
MNBowTie,
I grew up in Hugo and Shoreview MN. You fimiliar with those areas?

ndamico
09-22-2002, 16:01
odoh- yup, just 2 speeds.

AKdmax - the resistor is for the LED so i know when its on...went camping in South Lake Tahoe this weekend. high idle works great, as does the OD lockout..nice to be able to cruise 4th going up echo summit... pics will be up in an hour or so on my site...