PDA

View Full Version : Engine rattle @ 1400 RPMs

Heartbeat Hauler
09-18-2002, 13:29
When I accelerate through about 1400 rpms I get this rattle for just a few seconds. If I were to guess, it sounds like the torque converter bolts are loose and causing a rattle in the flex plate. My other guess would be maybe a heatshield of some sort is loose. Anybody have this problem? I did a search and didn't really find anything close.
Thanks,
JP :confused:

Kennedy
09-18-2002, 15:38
There have been several reports of broken tabs on the factory downpipe/turbo outlet pipe.

Heartbeat Hauler
09-19-2002, 12:06
Thanks john, now at least I won't sound to dumb when I go to the dealer to have him check it out.
JP

DmaxMaverick
09-19-2002, 17:13
Heartbeat Hauler

Have a look before you go in. The tab that breaks most often is visible from the pass. side wheel well. Pull back the liner at the rear and follow the downpipe. You'll see the tab. If it's cracked, you'll see a verticle line near the bend in the tab.

Heartbeat Hauler
09-20-2002, 11:59
Thanks DMAXMAVERICK. I'll definitly do that, but right now we have tornado warnings and I think I'll stay in today. ALso, is this something I should handle myself or let the dealership do it?
JP

DmaxMaverick
09-21-2002, 00:12
I would suggest letting the dealer do it. I took mine in and they ordered a new downpipe and welded the old one. The tech said that if the weld breaks, he would replace the downpipe. If the weld holds, he has a spare downpipe on the shelf. It's been about 15K with the weld and all is good.

Worry about it later. You don't want to have your butt in the air when Dorothy and Todo come to visit.