PDA

View Full Version : Dealer put Castrol 10W30 in Duramax

TxDoc
06-17-2002, 19:27
From the GM-TC forum:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=3d0e8af65f5cffff;act=ST;f=4;t=1006 9

A buddy of mine with a 2001HD with the Duramax took his truck to a local dealer for an oil change. When he started it up he got two messages on his dash display. One said low oil. So he killed it and went back in and told the Service Manager what had happened.

While he was watching from the window in the Customer Waiting area he saw them pour in 3 quarts of Castrol 10W30 for gasoline engines. The same dealer changed his oil last time and now he thinks they may have put the wrong oil in it then. He's pretty sure they used the Castrol because they only charged him $24 both times.

He called GM and they said that if he was concerned about damage he'd have to take the truck to another dealer and PAY to have them check it out.

Any one have any ideas as to what sort of internal damage (if any) may have ocurred to his Duramax?

Any suggestions as to how to deal with GM?

reelbob6.6
06-17-2002, 19:34
I CAN NOT ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS BUT THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME WITH MY 2001 DURAMAX. THE DEALER PUT PENSOIL 10-30 AND THEN WHEN I ASKED HIM WHY, HE SAID IT WAS A MISTAKE AND THE RIGHT OIL WAS IN IT. I TOOK IT HOME AND CHANGED TO SHELL ROTTELA 15-40 AND WILL NOT GO BACK TO HIM.

Wally
06-17-2002, 19:43
No damage if it isn't run a long way on the auto oil. A long way being 7-10K miles. I got a couple of free oil changes with my last truck and I don't trust the morons enough to even let them do a freebie!
Most dealers are blithering idiots!!!!!
They never cease to amaze me.
The more they(corporate) try and cut costs by reducing flat rate hours the less qualified the people working there will be. This includes service writers whom I tend to lump in a group lower than security guards.
I apologize to the service writers and dealership mechanics that read this forum. I know that somewhere there has to be some good ones and I give every body a chance but so far the score is about 10 to 1 in favor of ignorance and apathy!

mackin
06-17-2002, 19:54
That's kinda unreal that these dealers, and service people were not properly trained. This isn't GM'S first diesel . The 6.5 ran 15w 40 HD Diesel oil ...... What gives? I thought that all dealerships had to, that's right had to get certified warranty mechanics ...... I followed www.silverado.com.which was a dealer site (I had my dealers number to get partial access) and there was training that had to be completed, for the proper sales representation, but it is OK to let a lame brain service department put there mitts on our trucks.They had to pass the certification process prior to selling these trucks, how do you like that...... WOW ........ Not to mention, if we put bigger tires on our truck they won't address some warranty issues ,but Oh Hay, dump some wrong oil in the crankcase, thanks... What a confidence builder ...... I'm sure there is some good service departments,but there should be a minimal mandatory standard of qualified service people, at every dealer ......

MAC

[ 06-17-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mackey_62
06-18-2002, 05:26
I've had 3 oil changes (3 of 6 free) at my dealer.
What seems odd is that each time it's been a different putz with the untucked shirt, untied shoes working on my truck. You know, I try not to judge people too quickly, but these guys make it tough. I know one local dealer has no diesel tech's, mine has how many? Hopefully it's not these 3 guys doing my oil. I have a feeling the diesel tech is off doing something important, probably fixing something, we come in for oil change and get the car washer. Just last week we had a discussion here about my oil changes. Not very positive I'm afraid. Won't go into details again, just let me say if you are letting dealer work on your truck, watch them like a friggin hawk. I have a feeling they're just learning on my truck :mad: :mad: :mad:

Trust me, I can't wait to change my own oil. This poor girl hasn't been loved yet. Not sure if I want 3 more free changes.
You guys wouldn't believe it but previous 2 trucks from this dealer I had excellent service, no complaints, now I'm scared I wasn't watching close enough.

[ 06-18-2002: Message edited by: mackey_62 ]</p>

Nels
06-18-2002, 08:08
The dealer I bought my truck from has always been good to me in the service department. It's a small town dealer with a conscientious and competent service department. However, since they are so small, they do not sell many diesel trucks. I bring the truck to the dealer for all oil changes within the warranty period. Just for piece of mind I asked the service manager what kind of oil they kept on hand for diesel engines. He gave me my choice of Rotella or Quaker State diesel grade oil. No worries here.

There really are some dealers that are on the ball, and we should speak up for them. I have nothing but good comments about this dealership.

odoh
06-18-2002, 09:07
I'm always hearing of free oil changes. Where/how does this happen? ~ odoh

gardnerteam
06-18-2002, 09:13
You should look for dealers that sell and service pickups and trucks as a major part of their business, even though they may have a car line as well. Large car dealerships, for the most part, have employees that are use to working on 4 bangers and V-6 car engines. Many do not even stock parts and lubricants for diesel pickups. I too learned the hard way - idiot in huge Portland Chev dealers service department put the wrong fluids and filters on my wifes 6.5 sub. Local dealer found it when brakes siezed, then found wrong oil filter crossthreaded on as well (I had bought the used vehicle from the Portland dealer). Repair costs were about $1500 and the Portland dealer would not stand behind it, even though the local dealer told them what they found. I'm very lucky that my local Bend GMC dealer sells mostly trucks, and has an excellent service department who goes out of their way to be of service and help the customer. Find a dealer that knows trucks and diesels, and then all you have to do is worry about his attitude, not his competence.

mackey_62
06-18-2002, 09:47
odoh,
I make my salesman feel guilty about how much he made on me. At least I try to. This is 3rd truck now with free changes. Remember, service type stuff is easy for these guys to write off, no matter what they tell you.
I've got a friend who is parts manager at F*^d dealer, you'd be amazed how many freebies he gets. Not just his vehicles, but friends too.
He even gets free gas.
They make enough money to cover it, so you might just as well get your piece of the pie too. Never be afraid to ask for freebies.