PDA

View Full Version : SPA211 install

hogbreth
09-20-2002, 04:02
Finished the installation of a SPA211 in the overhead console last night. I read all the posts prior to attempting the install so I thought I would pass along some thoughts. Removing and reinstalling the boost tube from the intercooler( the one that runs on the Pax side of truck) was easier then expected when you remove the air cleaner assembly. heliarched a bung and a ground tab and that turned out great. Tapping the exhaust manifold went as advertized. the problem I ran into was that the wiring harness lead for the pressure sensor was not long enough to make it through the firewell up the piller and into the overhead. I lengthened the the three wires but the 2 power leads were shielded 22awg. Went to Radio Shack and found shielded speeker wire and used that. Works great and I really like the location.
I'm receiving my Edge juice box and I would like some advice as to what paramiters I should set into the gauge for safety sake. I will be pulling my 16,000# 5th wheel and I dont want to hurt anything. 1300 degrees and 30#'s of boost?
Thanks for the help.

Alli-max
09-20-2002, 07:31
Well, I will be the first to say... Post the pictures of the install!! I have seen overhead SPA pics before, but would like to see some more. Did you install it in an angled cup?

CntrlCalDmax
09-20-2002, 08:06
Yes, pictures please. I'm planning on installing an Xmonitor system in the overhead this weekend and would like to see more pictures before I proceed. Ideas before installation are better than ideas after installation!!

SoCalDMAX
09-20-2002, 10:33
Sounds like you did a great job putting it in, I'd love to see pics if possible.

Ah yes, the infamous how high is too high question. That's really gonna depend on your EGT probe. With the 1/8" probe I could watch EGTs shoot up from 500 to 1300* in just a couple of seconds. This was with all of the "toys" turned up, screaming up a hill. Peak recorded temp was 1450*.

With the same setup but using the 1/4" probe, the EGTs are much slower to repond and I've yet to go over 1050*. I do believe this is much closer to actual exhaust temps. The thin probe was measuring gas temps, the thicker probe is responding a little closer to component temps.

Short answer: thin probe, I'd suggest 1400* alarm. Thick probe, 1200* alarm. These are only suggestions, YMMV. I'd like to hear suggestions from more experienced owners.

Regards, Steve