PDA

View Full Version : Got my "new" truck and love it but it stalled...

TurboDiverArt
12-13-2003, 04:33
Hey all,

Just got my

Barry Nave
12-13-2003, 05:24
Im sure it's the PMD.
Get the Warranty fix and I would also push for a new Injection pump then order a FSD Cooler after words.

DmaxMaverick
12-13-2003, 05:33
Get it to the dealer FAST!

Pay for the diagnostic. You only have 240 miles left and need to get a complaint on record. Most problems with the IP/FSD(or whatever it's called these days) are intermittent before permanent. You may have a code stored in the PCM that warrants a new pump/FSD at the dealer's first look. In either case, the record may save you big $$.

On my '95, I have the same problem you have. Stalls, restarts. Stalls, restarts. Stalls, no start. Wait, start. No doubt in my mind it is the IP/FSD. Dealer can't duplicate. I have the record and it's getting worse. I first took it in with 119,680 miles. It is now over 120K, but the dealer said they would accomodate the warranty on the original complaint if it fails for them within reasonable mileage. I'm patient.

That being said, it may not be the IP. Could be the fuel lift pump, filter, oil pressure sender, etc. Check that before you go to the dealer. If it's bad, replace it and don't tell the dealer you did. It's not cheating. The dealer will already have more info than they can process before they self destruct.

If it is the original IP/FSD, it is due for replacement anyway.

TurboDiverArt
12-13-2003, 12:16
Thanks for the input! Well either the lift pump or oil sender is bad. I changed out the fuel filter and can

DmaxMaverick
12-13-2003, 13:08
Sounds pretty simple.

Voltage at the pump, but no pumping. New lift pump is in order. If you have voltage before starting, the oil sender is out of the loop (start cycle). Check voltage at the OPS after it is running (operating temp is best) to check it.

I would still suggest getting any codes checked that may be in the PCM. Many Autozone stores do this for free. Most shops will do it for cheap or free (non dealer). It only takes a few minutes. In 240 miles, the rules change. It takes a really good dealer to negotiate a warranty repair after the mileage has expired, but some will.

Barry Nave
12-13-2003, 13:22
Anyway if it was the IP you would have a chance to have it replaced for a $100.
Something as simple as a LP or OP is better then something major. smile.gif

TurboDiverArt
12-13-2003, 13:26
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to call my friend, he use to be a service manager at a Chevy dealer before going over to the dark side (Acura). He may know someone at a dealer that will take my word that the IP is bad and replace the IP and PMD. His dad is a mechanic for Penske, wonder if they do warrantee stuff

suburbanz
12-13-2003, 19:49
Good luck but if it has a code in it that pertains to the pump or pmd they should replace it no problem.I went through the same deal in early summer and the 96 had codes in it for the pmd but with no drivabilaty problems whatsoever and they replaced the pump,pmd,and lift pump under warrenty.

TurboDiverArt
12-14-2003, 07:53
OK, well I replaced the lift pump and all is well. Took a little to get the truck to start but I suppose it was because of an air lock. After I had changed the fuel filter I couldn

Oopsgreg96
12-16-2003, 18:57
I had the exact same thing happen, well not me, but my mechanic, he had the truck over to his shop to replace the the glow plugs, he got that done and it started a stalling condition. Drive it, ten minutes and it stalls, sometimes two minutes, stalls, and starts right back up. I bought the trouble shooting manuals just in case. Dave went through fifteen different checks.
Ended up, he thinks its the fuel sol. driver module. Hes installing it tomarrow, boy I hope so, missed two major snow storms so far, poor snowblower is really getting a work out.....

Let you know how it comes out thursday

Greg