PDA

View Full Version : Stanadyne??

Albee
09-20-2002, 22:19
OK, here we go, Does anyone know, FOR SURE, if GM does approve Stanadyne fuel additive in their Duramax trucks? I purchased some in preperation for winter, and would like to know if I can do this legally. Thanks.

3176CATPOWER
09-21-2002, 08:13
In the 2002 Duramax Diesel Supplement it says (Diesel fuel or fuel addatives not recommended in this manual could damage your fuel system and engine.Your warranty would not cover this damage.)I could not find a recommendation for an addative in the manual.I questioned my service manager about using Standadyne addative and he saw no reason not to use it but I do not think he knew for sure about GMs recommendation.I would check with your service manager.I now buy my fuel that is produced by Flint Hills Resources which electronically mixes addatives to bring the fuel to their specs.It is less costly per gallon than me buying an addative and trying to properly mix it at the pump.If you use an addative make sure it is being mixed thougherly with the fuel your adding to the tank and in the proper amounts.Standadyne contains no alcohol so your safe there.There is a web site www.premiumdiesel.com that goes into detail about the fuel I am using but see it is not available in your area.

mattb5150
09-21-2002, 10:05
I doubt any service manager, except the really good ones, who seem to be few and far between, would have any idea about this. I have been wondering the same thing. We should contact Stanadyne themselves to see what they recommend, if they also recommend for EGR and CAT motors.

Matt B.

MNBowTie
09-21-2002, 23:59
IMHO, GM, not recommending fuel additives is, that there is no real standard to recommend. I can't see why adding a Cetane boosting product before filling the tank could hurt. Currently, I'm comparing Amsoil cetane boost Vrs. Synergyn 20+ cetane.

Spoolin'It
09-22-2002, 16:06
GM used to give their approval to Stanadyne additives when they had Stanadyne fuel injection systems in their trucks(6.2-6.5). Now that they have switched to Bosch they take the easy way out and don't give anyone approval. Saves them from having to test each and every additive before giving endorsement(easy when it was 100% stanadyne, they took care of that problem for GM and stood behind their additive).
If you check out http://www.stanadyne.com/dsg/showfile.asp?id=717, this lists all the manufacturer approvals for their additives, CAT is listed as approving.
I've been using it and had no problems, if they approved it for the old motor it should run in the new motor with no adverse affects.

Wally
09-22-2002, 17:44
Seriously, GM has got to be crazy if they think that they can actually detect usage of most fuel additives or pinpoint where it came from.
Think about it for a minute. Quite a few of the fuel jobbers add something to their fuel for various reasons, lubricity, biocides, gell reducers, cetane improvers, etc. If GM ever really tried to deny a warranty claim because of suspected fuel additives they will be stepping out on a very thin limb. Number one; they have to prove that the owner and not the fuel jobber put something in the fuel. Number two; They have to prove that whatever the something is caused a fuel system related failure.
I see absolutely no problem with using a NAME BRAND fuel additive. It might not do you any good but it certainly won't pose any more of a risk to the fuel system than the fuel itself and we all know how much the quality of fuel can vary.