PDA

View Full Version : Charging system question

chrisinkanata
06-20-2002, 19:12
Well, it's here and I'm driving it. Yahooooooo! Can't believe how nice and quiet it is. And the mileage - incredable! I know it's absolutely unscientific, but 24.8 MPG on the first tank. That's imperial gallons BTW. Not sure what the exact conversion would be but I'll figure it out. I've driven 2500km (1500 miles)in the last week (I picked it up north of Toronto on the 10th of June)and I still can't believe it. I digress though.....the purpose of my post is the charging system. When the truck is first started up cold in the morning, the alternator will not start charging until it has been running about 30 seconds or so. Voltmeter is pegged at just over 8v and then after the 30 or so seconds, it makes it's way up to a bit over 14v. Any thoughts?????
I have alot of experience with gasoline powered vehicles, but my diesel is limited to what I learned in school, having never worked on them. The charging system, as far as I recall, is pretty much the same.

Pair of Kings
06-20-2002, 19:27
Congratulations on your new truck. I wouldn't worry about the charging system, what you are seeing is normal. My truck does the same thing when it is cold. ;)

ThePend
06-20-2002, 19:31
Its the glowplugs that are keeping the charge down. Once they stop, the needle rises to over 14v. Completely normal.

IndigoDually
06-20-2002, 20:01
The glow plugs are on when the "Wait to Start" light is on. Once the truck is running there is an intake air heater that is on for a little while. The amount of time depends upon engine and ambient air temperature.

John