PDA

View Full Version : Help Newbie Alert!

20050824|7|006327|000000|216.230.93.198
10-16-2003, 15:37
Hiya Gang!

Well I am a COMPLETE NEWBIE in the world of diesels. My 2003 is the very first one i have ever owned so naturally im lost since its NOT the setup (gas) that im used to. SO BARE WITH ME smile.gif ...I feel some stupid questions coming!!!

Well my truck is stock and is a 2003 2500HD Duramax 4x4 (Long Bed/Ext Cab). I am towing a 30ft Weekend Warrior. I have been reading numerous threads only to unfortunately confuse the crud out of me in some cases. So here it goes
!

#1- I want mo POWER!!!!! I have read about the Juice/Attitude combo, Superchips, DSG I believe it was. I am under the impression this forum would agree the Juice/Attitude combo is the best all around? Does it void warranties? Where have some of u placed this unit in your truck. I have a Prodigy controller down by my right knee currently.

#2 - Since I am completely stock do I need to be worried about a Pryo/boost gauge at the moment? I know i should have one if i get a controller installed?

#3 - As for air filters I live in California...I will be frequenting Glamis and Pismo which are sand dunes...I DO NOT want to jack my truck up because of poor filtration. I too once had a K & N and because of the fine amount of stuff I found in my tube put back my stock filter on my old 2002 DODGE RAM <--I know bad bad word but I got rid of it!. Whats does the best job at filtration while maximizing air flow based on where i might be? A friend of mind just switched out his stock air filter for a big rig version. What do you recommend?

4- Oil Filtration/Fuel Filtration I guess i really dont understand why you need to have redundant systems. Someone explain this to me????????? Again what is recommended...

Well I think thats enough and I do apologize about the noob questions. Break me in right cause im here to stay...I already love the power i feel as it is...I just want to do the RIGHT things for her to get the most out of her and not sacrifice her longevity.

HiGhToNe :confused: :confused:

ratlover
10-17-2003, 05:44
I would go Juice. The attitude is nice and a really good deal actually. I mean price guages and such. The attitude is only 250$ more whan purchased as a combo I believe. You dont need the attitude to make the juice work though. You check out John Kennedys site? www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com)

For stock there is no need for guages. If you get the attitude it will act as your guages.

For the redundant filters. Oil is pointless unless you want to do the extended drain intervall thing. Just stick a good filter and some good oil on there. Unless you want to to the extended drain intervall in wich case that is a whole other topic.

For fuel. The main thing is to do it. There has been alot of debate here on were to put it(pre or post factory) what brand to use ect. Its worse than a ford-chevy-dodge debate tongue.gif Main thing though is to do it. There may be some slight advantages to doing it the different ways but you will pick up tons of benifit by just doing it!

I am running the UNI air filter. I would recomend against a cotton guaze for the reasons you mentioned. A stock AC paper or a UNI would be my choice. I believe the UNI filters as well if not a hair better than stock and I believe it flows a bit better but the main reaso I bought it was economics. A UNI is 50 and will last a lifetime, you priced a AC delco and figured how often you will replace it? :eek: Just keep your old factory so whan you are washing and drying the aftermarket filter you arnt out a truck.

Do a search on swiss cheese ;)

If you are going to get a box/chip I would recomend a new exhaust or a new muffler. Most of the restriction is supposedly in the muffler. Choice depends on how you want it to sound.