PDA

View Full Version : Be Aware of Low Fuel Warning

CanadaKev
09-24-2002, 21:22
99% of the time, I carry 5 gallons of emergency fuel in the tool box. This time? NOT!
Thought I had lots of fuel to get to my daughters's soccer game and back. Approx. 60 miles round trip. Fuel gauge at 1/4, (34 gal. tank)
Anyway, 11 miles from home the low fuel light comes on. (No Biggy. I am supposed to have approx. 6 gallons of fuel left. Enough for 80-100 miles. Right? Not in my truck!!) 9 miles later the engine quits just as I'm going in to a 90 degree turn and oncoming traffic! I strong-arm it around the curve, barely able to keep her in my own lane. (One thing about a diesel when she gets air in the fuel line, she just quits. No coughin' an' sputterin' like a gasser.)
Manage to pull 'er off the the road and flag someone down to go pick up my jerry-can. Get some fuel in 'er, pump the priming pump till I feel lots of fuel coming through and start the truck. Runs for 20 seconds or so and quits. Another air-lock. Pump the primer again. Same thing. Third time, finally got all the air out and away she went.
This turned out to be a long-winded 'Heads-up'.
Might just be my truck, but just in case thought I'd let y'all know.
Kev

imported_
09-25-2002, 00:52
especially if you have a long box kev... on mine the low fuel light means..."fillerupdummyyouhaveonly4gallonsleft!

FirstDiesel
09-25-2002, 04:19
I have a 3500 CC long bed and the other day I had the light come on. I pulled in for fuel and really worked the tank to get it full and all I got in it was 28 gallons. That seemed like a good number based on the mileage too. I wonder if there is a pickup problem with the your tank or if it is with all of them.

Wonder how many gallons it would have taken to fill your tank?? And idea??

mackey_62
09-25-2002, 05:49
I've also watched reserve cap. at light.
Twice got 28 gal. in it pretty close (10-20 mi.) from when light came on. Think the most I've put in it is 29.
Maybe it is a pick-up problem, wonder if we all have it?
Maybe 4-5 gal in bottom we'll never use??
Anyone w/ 34 gal tank got to put more than 29 in?

KenZ
09-25-2002, 06:15
I've put fuel in my tank 55 times. (just looked at my records) Out of those 55 times, 18 times it was over 30 gallons. The most I have put in has been 33.76 gal. I must be living on the edge.

Ken

GMC D-Max
09-25-2002, 07:14
The most I've ever put in the truck shortly after the "low fuel" warning came on was 29 gallons. Typically, if I hit it right after it comes on, it's 27.5-28 gallons. I have run approx. 30 miles after the warning came on, with no running dry. (But, I wouldn't want to make a habit out of it. When it hits about 1/4, I'm heading for fuel!)

Ironhead
09-25-2002, 07:18
The first time it happened I only fit 28. The last time my low fuel light came on I drove 10 more "hen picked" miles and filled up and put 32 gallons in. Kinda scared me. Good thing the wife started harping on me right away. I was trying to tell her we had no worries with at least 6 to eight gallon reserve. She checks the gauge herself now everytime she gets in with me. :rolleyes:

CanadaKev
09-25-2002, 07:27
FirstDiesel,
No I don't know how much fuel I put in to fill 'er up. I have purchased a meter to install
on my bulk farm fuel tank but haven't put it on yet. Guess I should get it done, then I could keep track of my mileage.
Kev

Colorado Kid
09-25-2002, 09:36
I have a short box, and I was under the impression that I had about 4 gallons when the light came on. I'd put just a whisker over 22 gallons in about 8 miles after the light came on the first time (26 Gallon Tank). Comming home from Montana I pulled into a station in Idaho Falls and the light came on between the driveway and the pumps. It took 25.35 gallons and scared the H*&& out of me...pulling the trailer I was within 8 miles of walking! NO trusty that light NO MORE! :eek: When the needle gets half way between the 1/4 and the E it's time to get fuel. If the light goes on GET FUEL RIGHT NOW DUMMY!

I wasn't really trying to push it at the time, there's just an amazing scarcity of diesel pumps along I-15 in Northeastern Idaho.

Greg Watkins
09-25-2002, 09:54
My low fuel light has NEVER came on. I always fill up around 1/4 tank. I let it go as low as I felt comfortable ONCE and when I filled up it was only 25 gallons. The low fuel light didn't come on, but the needle was sitting on E. Is there a way to check to see if the light works? The other functions appear to be fine (change oil, security, etc..).

greg

MaxACL
09-25-2002, 13:23
My last fill was 33.7 in a 34 gal tank. Wont do that again!

JimErickson
09-25-2002, 14:22
I drove 36 miles with light on once. Out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. thought I'd fuel up in last town but they were all closed.

Pucker Factor of 7.

Jim

c5dura
09-25-2002, 14:59
My light (well, message in the message center) came on this morning and I drove another 15 miles or so. It took 28.81 gallons to fill.

So in my case, the message came on with about 6 gallons left in the tank.

ryeguy
09-25-2002, 16:14
Mine comes on when I have about 20 litres left in the tank, it seems. I've ran it down to 10 litres left.

Extended cab shortbox. Book says 100 litres.

Buddy borrowed the truck, light came on, kept driving...when he filled it up it took 107 litres!

--Rob

FirstDiesel
09-25-2002, 17:15
I'd be reporting that station and asking to have their pumps checked!! smile.gif

dmaxstu
09-25-2002, 17:17
Hate to rub it in I have a long bed with a 135 GAL fuel tank in the bed and when the low fuel light comes on there is still 20 Gals. in the tank. Fuelled in Kalispel Montana and was good to San Francisco Ca.
However when I backed down my steep driveway at home she conked out, with a big tank like that one had better keep it level after the low fuel light comes on. Stu

Idle_Chatter
09-25-2002, 19:41
With my aux tank (short bed - only 44 gals) I swap tanks when the light comes on and put the same amount of fuel in the "empty" tank every time - 23.5 gallons in my 26 gallon main tank and 32 gallons in my 44 gallon aux tank. I adjusted my pickup and float sender in the aux tank to use more of the capacity, but that rectangular shape and width means that it's about 3 gallons per inch of level so that unused 12 gallons only equates to about 4" of level and only about 1-1/2" to 2" of coverage on the pickup when level.

Kiwi1
09-25-2002, 20:00
In my short-bed with a 26 gal tank, the low-fuel light comes on with 4 to 3.5 gals left. Have driven 40 miles with the low-fuel light on and managed OK. Trouble I have is my fuel gauge doesn't display the true tank volume. At 200 miles from fill-up it shows 75% full, at 400 miles (or close) the low-fuel light comes on. Had it back to the dealer for checking and they claim their meter indicates it is reading true. Nearing the end of warranty so plan to take it back again for another check. Anyone else having poor accuracy of fuel gauge readings?

Vette Racer
09-25-2002, 23:23
Usually when my low fuel light comes on in my 3500 I can put about 28 gal in but the last time I was towing and needed to go about 25 miles futher. When I stopped for fuel, I put in 34.9 gal. Thank God for that flying J! I figure another mile and I was Pushing, or walking! Bottom line, Got Diesel!!!!

mdrag
09-26-2002, 00:37
When I was researching the 56 gal TFI replacement tank, I had a few extended conversations with Ben Winter at Transfer Flow. It is my understanding that all fuel tanks - diesel, gas, OEM, or aftermarket - are rated at their stated capacity of XX gals, and must provide an additional 10% vapor space that is not included in the tank's rating.

So the OEM tank on the long bed should have a possible capacity of 34 + 3.4 = 37.4 gals. Depending on the design of the tank, that extra 10% may or may not be usable. That being said, they don't recommend 'topping off' because the fuel can expand and overflow through the filler neck - it's happened to me on two occasions with gassers - with possible bad consequences.

If you look at the shape of the OEM tank (pics of the OEM and TFI tanks at the first link in my sig), it appears that the OEM tank should be able to use most of that vapor space if you 'topped off'. I estimate that 2-3 gals remain when you run it till the engine quits (less remaining if going downhill, more remaining if you go uphill).

On the initial fill of the 56 gal TFI tank, I used 5 gal fuel containers filled at the same pump/same station. The fuel pump agreed with the amount pumped into the 5 gal containers. I then drove about 2 miles and finished fueling. 56 total gal went in quickly, then another 4 gal very slowly for a total of 60 gal - very close to the 56 gal + 5.6 vapor space = 61.6 gal.

Ben at TFI told me they ran one of their tanks down to 4 gal remaining in the tank.

One of these days when I'm bored, I'll attempt to measure the total capacity of the OEM tank... smile.gif

mtomac
09-26-2002, 16:31
I got 496 miles out of my 26 gal tank putting 24.86 gallons in it. My low fuel light came on when I slowed down and exited off into the fuel station on 80/90.

I fill it up to the top of the neck, rock the truck, (lets trapped air out) & fill it a little more, repeat, repeat. This gets me accurate numbers for figuring mileage and it stretches the tank, LOL...

[ 09-26-2002: Message edited by: Micheal Tomac ]</p>

ryeguy
09-26-2002, 17:37
I've never got even an extra gallon into the tank by topping it off. But then again, maybe I'm just too impatient with that foaming fuel. ;)

My gauge reads funny too. When it says 3/4 full, I know it's really about half.

--Rob

mtomac
09-26-2002, 17:51
After the pump shuts off I can get 1.5 - 2 gallons more in the tank, but it takes a few minutes.

Dawg
09-30-2002, 14:35
I have the 26 gallon tank. My low fuel light came on today about a 1/4 mile from a station. I drove right to the station and filled her up. The pump shut off at a little over 23 gallons. I then slowly filled her up to the top of the neck. Total was 24.5 gallons. Not a lot of room for error once the light comes on!

crafty
09-30-2002, 15:49
Low fuel light came on on me last night and I drove another 30 miles or so before filling up. I had travelled 800 Kms on that tank and it took 94.0 litres to fill it. I cut it closer than I like to but there was no fuel around. I carry a couple gallons with me just in case and I almost used them. :D :D :D

[ 09-30-2002: Message edited by: crafty ]</p>

Dr_Destructo
09-30-2002, 18:39
My low fuel light has only come on twice since owning this truck. Sometimes I wonder if this thing really works. Today it came on right as I pulled into the pump. The needle was on the red bar in the gauge. I put 30.82 gal. in a 36 gal. tank.

Had 611.6 miles on that tank.

19.84 miles per gal not too bad :D

LA DMAX
09-30-2002, 22:17
You guys may not believe this but I ran my dmax 65 miles after the light went on. I wanted to make it to my usual fuel station. I pumped 26.3 gallons into a 26 gallon tank. I did go all the way up to the filler neck where I could just barely see the diesel. I know you're not suppose to fill it that much but it gives me a good mpg estimate if I know I fill it up the same level each time. Yeah that scared the He** out of me just like it did the Kid. I'll try not to make a habit of it cuz it may get me into real trouble some day.
Later

LA DMAX

DMax_Doug
10-01-2002, 09:42
Ditto La DMAX,
Low fuel warning came on about 30 miles from home; drove it in and pumped 26.01 gals just for the initial kickoff of the pump. I must have been on the last few drops for sure; I won't be pushing it that far again...

GreyPower3500
10-01-2002, 15:47
Note to design team at General Motors:

Please move this damned Message Center light over to the other side of instrument panel --- FAR from wife's line of sight in passenger seat !!!
I'm continually getting these sharp-tongued observations like:

Why are we low on fuel again?
Are you EVER going to get washer fluid?
Your cargo light is still on!

If the light can't be disabled, at LEAST give me a hidden switch to flash this message:

PASSENGER EJECTION SEAT "ARMED"

Heh, heh... Sorry, Honey...

BTW, I religiously get the LOW FUEL light at around 6 US gallons remaining. Most I've driven on the light is about 35 miles. Largest fill was 110 litres (about 30 US gallons)

Merconvert
10-01-2002, 21:08
My 2 cents

I have a 01 3500 cc long bed,Iuse my bed for hauling,quite often!! So I put a behind the seat gas tank,from a ford pickup,Yep a old truck. No rust,as no sun to hit it. I lost about 10 inches of bed,but I have 19 extra gals. of diesel. When the low lite comes on I hit the switch. Do not use a tank with Rust in it,as Diesel will desolve? it and clog your filter. Check the junk yards. See Ya.

Bob

Merconvert
10-01-2002, 21:10
My 2 cents

I have a 01 3500 cc long bed,Iuse my bed for hauling,quite often!! So I put a behind the seat gas tank,from a ford pickup,Yep a old truck. No rust,as no sun to hit it. I lost about 10 inches of bed,but I have 19 extra gals. of diesel. When the low lite comes on I hit the switch. Do not use a tank with Rust in it,as Diesel will desolve? it and clog your filter. Check the junk yards. See Ya.

Bob