PDA

View Full Version : Delvac 1 synthetic 5W-40

Bill McGouirk
09-25-2002, 19:32
I have a 2001 4x4 Chevy Duramax diesel truck. I want to put in Mobil Delvac 1 full synthetic 5W-40 diesel engine oil. In the owners manual they want 15-40 as standard and 5-40 when it's very cold out below 0. Is it ok to use 5-40 all of the time.

LanduytG
09-25-2002, 20:01
You can use the 15W-40 or Delvac 5W-40 or the Amsoil 5W-30. They all do a great job of protecting the $40K truck, the choice is yours.

Greg

Chris Karpa
09-25-2002, 23:10
Remember that the 5 in 5W40 stands for what the weight the oil flows like at cold temperatures
the 40 stands for what the oil flows like at operating temperature. If your truck sees 32F or lower in the winter put 5W40 in it. want more proof
about the delvac, check it out
http://www.mobil.com/mobil_lubes/onhighway/products_services/index.html
I use it year round. Easier engine starts = longer lasting engine.

mdrag
09-25-2002, 23:16
From the Mobil website, Delvac 1 FAQ's
http://www.mobil.com/mobil_lubes/onhighway/products_services/delvac1/faqs_content.html

This should answer most of the questions about Mobil Delvac 1.

11. WHY DOESN'T DELVAC 1 COME IN A 15W-40 VISCOSITY GRADE?

The synthetic base stock used in Delvac 1 naturally has better low-temperature flow characteristics than a conventional engine oil. This results in the SAE 5W grade, which provides easier starting and faster oil flow characteristics than an SAE 15W grade. With the excellent film strength of the synthetic-based stock, and the tuned additive package, we can offer the advantages of better low-temperature performance and improved fuel economy -- while also providing better lubrication protection at hot engine operating conditions than a conventional SAE 15W-40.

http://www.mobil.com/mobil_lubes/onhighway/products_services/delvac1/faqs_content.html#ques11

19. I AM USED TO RUNNING AN SAE 40 WEIGHT (OR 15W-40). CAN DELVAC 1 BE USED AS A REPLACEMENT FOR ALL 40 WEIGHT OILS?

"All 40 Weight Oils" is a very broad category. Delvac 1 can be used in engines that call for a 40 weight straight grade or multi-viscosity grade oil meeting API CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF-2, CF or CE quality levels. Delvac 1 can be used in engines calling for Mack EO-M Plus, EO-M, EO-L Plus or EO-L and Cummins CES 20076. Delvac 1 can also be used in gasoline engines that call for an SJ, SH, SG or SF quality oil. That covers a lot of engines.

Delvac 1 is NOT the primary recommendation for Detroit Diesel two-stroke cycle engines (Series 53, 71, 92, 149) which require an SAE 40 mono-grade engine oil. Mobilgard 1 SHC or Mobil Delvac 1200 Super are designed specifically for these engines.

If you are not sure if Delvac 1 is appropriate for your application, call the Mobil Customer Response Center at 1-800-662-4525.

http://www.mobil.com/mobil_lubes/onhighway/products_services/delvac1/faqs_content.html#ques19

20. SINCE DELVAC 1 IS A 5W-40, WILL IT VOID WARRANTIES IF I USE IT?

No. Delvac 1, because of its high Viscosity Index (VI), provides a better protective film at higher temperatures than conventional SAE 40 weight oils, while remaining fluid at lower temperatures than a conventional SAE 15W weight oil. Mobil Delvac 1 meets all engine manufacturers' requirements where an API CH-4 oil is recommended.

http://www.mobil.com/mobil_lubes/onhighway/products_services/delvac1/faqs_content.html#ques20

Bill McGouirk
09-26-2002, 16:32
Thank you all for the info.
I ordered the Mobil Delvac 5-40 as soon as I get it I will have the dealer service My truck. I plan changeing the oil at 5k is that about right with that oil?
Thank's
Bill

mdrag
09-26-2002, 17:32
Bill,

Opinions vary on when to switch to synthetic. I agree with the FAQ on Mobil's website - switch whenever you want - 1 mile or 100K miles.

You didn't indicate your truck's mileage. A few forum member's have noted high silicon levels on the first few oil changes, then dropping to normal after a few oil changes. This indicates probable contamination during the engine manufacturing process. It makes sense to do two or three quick changes with the cheaper dino oil to flush out the contaminants - then make the switch to the more expensive synthetic oil.

mdrag

[ 09-26-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

Bill McGouirk
09-26-2002, 20:33
Mdrag,
I just hit 12k. I changed at about 1k and then every 3k, so I am due at around 13k and plan on going with synthetic at that time. I will also do the fuel filter at the time.

Bill

mackey_62
09-27-2002, 06:00
Bill McGouirk,

I see were on just about the same pace.
I'll be changing for the 5th time in about 500 more miles (Should be around 11,500-12,000).
Planning another analysis for this dump (boy that Fumoto's gonna come in handy), will be putting synth in this time, just in time for winter. Also, swapping fuel filter same time.

Anyway, you getting your oil analyzed?? Would be interesting to compare results? I was a little high on silicone at 5,500, expecting it to be normal now.