PDA

View Full Version : A/C starts and then quits

Johnny B.
09-16-2003, 21:52
My A/C quit a couple of weeks ago so I thought. I was towing the boat up to the lake and about 25 miles up the interstate the A/C stopped cooling. The blower was still working, but no cold air. I turned it on and off a few times and again later that day and it still didn't work.

A couple of days ago I turned it on to check for power to the compressor. Sure enough the compressor kicked on and the A/C worked. Not for long, I dropped a thermometer inside an interior vent and once the temp got to 40 F the temp started to rise and the compressor no longer engaged. I suspect an electronic component somewhere? A few hours later the same thing temp reached 40 and the A/C stopped blowing cold air and blew warm.

I recently "this spring" replaced the hose, condenser, accumulator and charged it 3 lbs. R134. I had dye injected into the system and no leaks.

I suspected a problem last year since the A/C would blow cold air most of the time and on occasion it would warm up and then get cold. This spring I attempted to change the orfice, but the joint was too tight and corroded, need I say more :mad: !

Any thoughts or ideas?

LanceW
09-17-2003, 03:53
Earlier this year I had the same symptoms, I was advised to replace the low-pressure switch. It seemed to cure me, but there may be better advice out there from others who know more than I do.

catmandoo
09-17-2003, 04:55
my dad worked on a cadillac this summer that would do the same thing the dealer said 1300 bucks to fix it.well my 5 year old nephew happened to come by and was lookin around under the hood to see what granpa was doin and says whats this say and here on a little tag on the radiator support under 15 years of grime it says if a/c fails to work properly or not at all after charging remove battery cable for 30 seconds.cured the problem.and i know if your a/c lite is flashing on your 93 they have a problem.might not cure the problem but worth a try

Johnny B.
09-17-2003, 11:08
Thanks for the replies, a new low pressure switch did the trick!