PDA

View Full Version : Mr Tomac

blowinsmoke
10-21-2003, 04:23
Need a little help here please. - I put the Flowmaster (953558) on the stock pipe last night -Man does it drone.. Did you notice if yours got a little better as it got some soot in it? And how much EGT drop did you see..? Coz I really didn't notice much drop at all.. Now I'm wondering if the 4" is the way to go.. - Maybe it'll get better, right now I'm none too happy - If it didn't vibrate the floor in the truck it might not be as bad...

Thanks
Blowin

mtomac
10-21-2003, 06:55
are you EC or CC, SB or LB?

You won't notice an egt drop unless your loading the motor (towing,ect). I noticed a 50-100 degree drop depending on conditions and load. Do you have a loose hanger? There shouldn't be any vibration.
What speeds and rpms does it drone?

blowinsmoke
10-21-2003, 07:30
Hey man - thanks for getting back with me. It's an 03 CC SB - I can feel the vibration on my foor - I'll check on the loose hanger.. It seems to drone in the low RPM range, maybe around 1900rpm or so - which has me worried for when I tow my 5er - how's yours when towing?.. Nice sound when you get on it but it does seem loud.. - Maybe I need to take it back to the exhaust shop and have them check it out..

mtomac
10-21-2003, 07:45
It sounds great inside or outside the cab empty or towing. Among others, my grandparents come with us to pulls sometimes and they don't complain about it being too loud sitting in the back seat. They didn't like the straight pipe though, I didn't either. After towing with it one time I put the Flowmaster on.

I think the Flowmaster is a good balance between the stock muffler and the straight pipe. I feel I have the benefits of the stock muffler in interior sound with the benefits of the straight pipe in lower egt and a better sound outside the truck too.

Only thing I've noticed is a slight drone at 50-55mph running empty. In 4th gear it's not there at that speed with extra rpm, 5th locked out.

I don't like a fluttery, snappy sound that some exhausts or a straight pipe on V8 diesel will give you. The Flowmaster doesn't do that.

Maybe those that were at the GR dyno day will comment on how my truck sounds inside and out. I took a few guys for a ride and everyone that was there heard what it sounded like on the dyno.

blowinsmoke
10-21-2003, 07:51
Humm, I guess something is wrong with mine then.. Did the put a small bit of flared pipe between the front section and the inlet to make up the difference from the stock muffler..? and then match it to the outlet side? - Do you have any pics of it so I can compare to mine please?

Thanks again
Pete

mtomac
10-21-2003, 07:53
no, I cut the pipes off as close as I could to the stock muffler

I'll get a couple pics of it

[ 10-21-2003, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Micheal Tomac ]

blowinsmoke
10-21-2003, 08:00
I appreciate it.

Thanks
Pete

mtomac
10-27-2003, 15:04
flowmaster1.jpg (http://antiquetractorpulling.com/flowmaster1.jpg)
flowmaster2.jpg (http://antiquetractorpulling.com/flowmaster2.jpg)
flowmaster3.jpg (http://antiquetractorpulling.com/flowmaster3.jpg)

blowinsmoke
10-28-2003, 05:22
Thanks for the picture Mike.. It's installed the same as mine - Mine actually appears to have gone a little quieter.. And after pulling the 5er this weekend and not even getting close to 12 I was happy..

Thanks again
Pete

mtomac
10-28-2003, 08:28
1200 degrees?

it makes a difference compared to the stock muffler

blowinsmoke
10-28-2003, 09:55
yes - with the stock muffler/AFE stage II - pulling the 5er back from the dealer, at 65 up hill I was almost hitting the yellow (1200) - with the flowmaster I'm in the 9600 range.

Thanks
Pete

On Edit :- Doh! the Yellow starts at around 11 so that's where I was - not 12 - my bad.

[ 10-29-2003, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: blowinsmoke ]

mtomac
12-14-2003, 18:17
Make sure you get Flowmaster part #953553 (28" long) NOT part #953558 (25" long) that Flowmaster lists as the replacement muffler for the Duramax, it's too short.