PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here with new truck

Diesel_D
03-23-2002, 03:16
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum as i was searching for a new truck. Had a 98 cummins that got totaled while parked in my driveway.(long story) Well finally gm put out a diesel worth owning and since pops works for gm and all your recomendations im the proud owner of a 2002 duramax/allison crew cab swb loaded 4x4 yea baby. I walked into the local chevy dealer and there she was so i said i'll take it. I cant bring it home till the insurance co. settels on the dodge so i'm going stir crazy.

now the questions......
those of you running 285's did you recal the speedo?
are there any warranty issues with the bigger tires?
how about warranty and lift kits? she sits a little low compared to the dodge.

thanks in advance
Don

MNBowTie
03-23-2002, 10:02
Diesel_D,

Welcome, To this site and it's mostly, common sense members. Congrats on your new ride, I'm sure you will soon see it is a superior HD truck compared to any other HD truck. However, regarding the 285's and lifts kit cant' help you there, but please read the following link on what happend to a modified engine,big tires and a brake stand.
[url=http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002742 (http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002742[/url)

taarciag
03-23-2002, 12:04
Diesel-D,
First Welcome to the forum and Congrates on the new ride to be. Man, it must be torcherous watching your new ride sit at the dealership. I hope they put it in the back and the salesmen aren't letting other customers sit & testdrive your Truck :(
I wish the best of success in resolving the insurance claim portion.

As for me, I have not recaled my speedo, the difference was not too much on freeway speeds for me to make it a high-priority. I reckon I should though sometime in the future.

I spoke with my dealer and they did confirm there were no issues with my 285 tires voiding the warranty. Heck, They had 2 brand new 2500 HD's with 6" lifts and 35's on there lot. ;)

Continue to enjoy the post.
BTW, my sig has a link to shots of my truck with 285's. 4k on these tires without any issues :D

tonkater
03-23-2002, 12:24
the 6.2 and 6.5 were certainly trucks worth owning. If it hadn't been for GM sticking there neck out with the 350 OLDS diesel in 2wd p/u and then 6.2 in all c/k pickups we might not see the duramax , or the psd or d/c.
Yeah, all my buds made fun of my 6.2s , but I've still got both of them - there trucks are long gone !

pontiac_m18
03-23-2002, 13:44
DIESEL_D, first things first, welcome to our site & may you get all youe questions answered quickly & correctly!! I'm a Michigander also BUT i can't answer your questions for you as I haven't done many mods YET. Just wanted to say Hi!! What part of Mi!! Howard :D :D :D

Diesel_D
03-23-2002, 20:53
Thanks for the replies all. First thing i asked when i bought it was if anyone will be test driving my truck and they said no its yours and no one can touch it. They have it out back in the fenced in lot and i can see it from the freeway and my drive into work and so far it hasn't moved.
taarciag thanks for the info. I'm planning on 285's on the stock rims and a 6" lift. My neighbor has the same set up on his 6.0 L chevy hd and it looks sweet.
tonkater sorry i didn't mean to put down the 6.2 and 6.5 but in 98 when i was looking for a truck the cummins was the bad boy.

pontiac-m18 i'm in NewBaltimore i bought the truck from Michael chevrolet. It's sitting in the back lot waiting for me.