PDA

View Full Version : Filter Change

ThePend
03-23-2002, 13:01
WOW !!!!!! Just did the first oil change on my truck. That filter wasnt coming for anything. I didnt know that Isuzu hired guys that pressed 500 lbs to spin on those oil filters. Went thru 2 wrenches just to get the darn thing off. Next time it wont be so tough. Hand tight then 1 full turn.

Oh and I just got the tick tick tick syndrome. It didnt do it with the factory oil. I switched to the Delvac 1 and now it does it. Hmmmmmmmmm. Guess Ill keep what Ive got and hope it goes away.

Jackmchome
03-23-2002, 15:24
You might be sorry for going "one full turn"
My second change was almost as tight as the first one. About 3/4 turn seems to be good.

IndigoDually
03-23-2002, 15:29
I broke two wrenches removing the "self-tightening" filter that I installed. I did 1/2 turn and I keep an eye on it for leaks. I'll see how it goes next time, I think I'll try two wrenches at once.

mackin
03-23-2002, 16:25
I have found that the socket style with a ratchet works best, for me anyway. For get about a metal strap wrench. I tighten mine up pretty good spec is 18 ft lbs. Who is going to get their torque wrench out for an oil change? Not I. It seems like the factory one was put on without lubing the gasket.Dry as a bone..........and tough......
MAC :D

DmaxCC6spd
01-11-2003, 09:22
Mackin, I will now take the time to get out my torque wrench! I just did an oil change an had one heck of a time getting the filter off. Socket type filter wrench with 1/2" long handle rachet twisted the filter housing. Strap type wrench was too short to gain enough leverage. Giant channel locks saved the day. (those things come in handy now and then). I'm not a gorilla when it comes to strenght and I installed the last filter (yes, I lubed the gasket).

I'm going to try the torgue wrench this time.

FirstDiesel
01-11-2003, 09:40
Just finished taking the filter off for the 3rd time. The first 2 came right off no big deal. This one!!!!! I don't understand the difference. Same filters, same installer, same proceedure. Wow, almost busted a blood vessel pulling that wrench.

mdrag
01-11-2003, 11:16
DmaxCC6spd,

I used a torque wrench for one filter change => the oil filter was still hard to come off. The last two filter changes were done with 3/4 turn after gasket contact, and they were 'easier' to remove - at least the old filter did not deform during removal. Still not as easy as expected.