PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil: worse mileage and more smoke than K&N

afp
07-23-2003, 21:12
When I bought my truck last June I put a K&N Aircharger system on. In Sept I installed Juice. This past Feb I took off the Aircharger and put on a modified factory airbox with an Amsoil air filter. I did this because my service manager says run what mods I want, just bring it in with the stock pieces back on--including paper air filter. I have only made one trip to the dealer, but it was a pain taking off the Aircharger and re-installing the factory system. So I got another factory air box, cut holes in it, and put the Amsoil in. This way, all I have to do is put back in the original stock airbox with the stock air filter and swap out the MAF.

Anyway, I had run with the Juice and Aircharger for about 6 months, and run with the Amsoil/Juice for about 5. There isn't a difference in seat of the pants feel, but my truck does smoke more on acceleration and it get's about 1/2 to 3/4 less MPG. Maybe the K&N Aircharger does indeed flow more useful air to the engine.

Blaine

GSXRTURBO1
07-24-2003, 09:02
Maybe flows more, but filters less.

mackin
07-24-2003, 09:50
Maybe it's the heavy right foot syndrome .....

With a comment of "smokes more on acceleration" makes me think you've weighted your boot .....

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

sonofagun
07-24-2003, 11:22
afp,

Have you cleaned your MAF? The oil on both these filters, but especially the Amsoil can wind up on the MAF causing less than ideal running conditions.

Bob

afp
07-24-2003, 18:04
Bob,

It was oil free when I took of the Aircharger, maybe the Amsoil--being more oily, has gummed it up a bit. I'll check.

What do you use to clean the MAF..alchohol?

Mack--I was heavier footed with the Aircharger.

Blaine

[ 07-25-2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: afp ]

sonofagun
07-25-2003, 11:05
Afp,

Yes, alcohol, but do not use rubbing alcohol, get the 91% stuff. Put it in a zip top baggie and GENTLY swish it around for a few minutes, shake it dry and reinstall. It might be the cause and if not cleaning it won't hurt.

Good luck,
Bob

aero
07-30-2003, 05:59
OK. WHERE IS THE MAP AS I RUN AN AMSOIL FILER AND WOULD LIKE TO CHECK IT AS I AM GETTING OIL OUT OF HOLES THAT HAVE BEEN DRILLED IN BOTTOM OF AIR BOX.

Idle_Chatter
07-30-2003, 06:44
aero, the MAF is in the air tube coming out of the lid of the airbox towards the turbo intake. You can't miss it, it has a wire and connector to it. and is the first item you encounter leaving the airbox.

sonofagun
07-30-2003, 10:13
Aero,

You need a special tool to separate the MAF from the tube (like an allen wrench but with a hole in the center of it, hardware stores carry them, often called a security allen key or wrench). Be careful with the wires inside they are what make it work. Do not break them!!

Bob

hoot
07-30-2003, 11:47
Originally posted by son of a gun:
Aero,

You need a special tool to separate the MAF from the tube (like an allen wrench but with a hole in the center of it, hardware stores carry them, often called a security allen key or wrench). Be careful with the wires inside they are what make it work. Do not break them!!

Bob A very small straight bladed screwdriver will fit the irregular hole and work fine.