PDA

View Full Version : New to Diesel, New to This Forum

afp
06-26-2002, 17:39
Greetings,

A fellow poster on 24HourCampfire sent me this way, and I'm glad I found this site.

Last week I bought a Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4 with the Dmax and Allison. Traded in my 01 ext cab, 5.3 Z-71. Swapped over the Fold-A-Cover and the Husky front floor mats, but had to get new Husky rear floor mats, new nerf bars, and a new K&N Aircharger. I'm having a Dry Charger made as we speak, and when my budget recovers, I'll probably add one of Kennedy's exhaust systems. I'm debating the Flowmaster in the meantime. I called Mr Kennedy and he is awesome.....

For those few of you who don't like the K&N--relax. I have pretty thoroughly researched this issue and have decided to go with the Aircharger system with the Dry Charger. If I find some compelling, non-emotional, scientific evidence otherwise, I'll adjust. I have no intention of bashing another product or trying to convince anyone else to do something different. What often works well for one person doesn't work for another.

BTW, how many miles does it take before things things run hard and get good has mileage?

Blaine

[ 06-26-2002: Message edited by: afp ]

[ 06-26-2002: Message edited by: afp ]</p>

tmg115
06-26-2002, 17:48
well let me be the first to welcome you here. it sounds like you have a nice truck. get some pics really soon. :D and take care of the truck.

NutNbutGMC
06-26-2002, 18:38
^.....AFP... IMHO... run it hard from day one. Drive it like you want it to perform throughout its life expectancy. Personally, I'd drive it like I borrowed it from a butt-head in-law. As for the good "has" (gas) mileage, don't worry about that. These things run on diesel. You are pumping diesel into it aren't you? :D :D

WELCOME to the forum.

afp
06-26-2002, 19:03
Nut,

Dang! I knew there was something I was missin'.....

I haven't babied it. I am learning not to push it when it doesn't want it, amd am learning when it can be pushed.

A couple guys who ought to know have told me I won't get best performance for 4000-10,000 miles. This does kind of make sense.

Blaine

afp
06-26-2002, 19:19
TMG,

I see your in Arlington. I am currently stationed at Randolph AFB near San Antonio. Was here 93-98, and came back in 01 after three years in Japan (yucchh!). My wife's family is in Covington, about an hour south of you. Last week I drove up in my 01 Z-71, and came back in my Dmax. Got it at Forrest Chevrolet in Cleburne. They had exactly what I would have ordered. The next bought my accessories from the Ft Worth FWPW and drove to the Dallas store to get them. My wife said I must get nerf bars on IMMEDIATELY--it is much easier for the wife and kids to climb in with the nerf bars on. Since I was going all the way to Dallas to get the nerf bars, I figured I might as well ket the Aircharger and the Husky rear floor mats.

BTW, where did you get your Juice from?

Blaine

tmg115
06-26-2002, 19:28
do you have a email were i can email you. if i say were i got it from i will get introuble with the mods here.

SoCalDMAX
06-26-2002, 21:28
Wlecome to the forum and Congrats on the new truck! :D

Good thing you didn't buy the truck in Japan, driving down the street would have been a nightmare!! Talk about extremes... Japan to TX.

Did you decide on this truck before or after you found the forum? Did we brainwash you or are you just really smart?

Sorry for all the questions. If you search the forums, you'll find a ton of great info, enjoy!

Regards, Steve

wangotango
06-26-2002, 22:11
And a "houndog howdy".

Welcome to the site.

Hopefully you haven't been hassled by the Swedish Bikini Team since they saw you in your new truck.

Took me almost a month to get over it. Yikes! They're so intense. Try to look the other way and just drive that mutha'.

Have fun / good luck

w/t

afp
06-26-2002, 22:52
SoCal,

When I was leaving Japan last summer ( was stationed at Yokota AB--a USAF base), I ordered a 2001 ext cab 5.3 Z-71 and had it delivered to Oregon (permanent home). I picked up my guns and tools I kept at my folks place while I was overseas, and drove the Z-71 to Texas. It was an awesome truck, especially on rough hunting roads. It had enough power to roast the tires, got 14 mpg in town and 19 on highways--stop and go highway driving. However, we really needed more space in the cab since for the four of us plus the dog--we use the truck whenever we take trips out of town. We drive from the San Antonio Area to the Ft Worth area once a month.

Since my wife's family are long-0time GM employees, I get the GM employee discount. Add to that my being a Chevy fan for a long time, and the brand question was answered. Anyway, Chevy has a 1500 HD crew-cab, but the 6.0 doesn't get great mileage. Also, I wanted a truck that would last 15-20 years and easily be able to be worked hard. Further, my brother-in-law and father-in-law went with me to the dealership and talked em into it. My brother-in-law has been a machinist at GM for 15+ years, but always driven Fords. When he got excited about the DMax, I knew it was the real deal. So I wound up with the DMax.

This website has been very useful in sorting out the upgrades. I have the intake piece settled, now it's time for the exhaust and later a box. I'm also learning diesels are different from the gas motors I have been driving. I need to get better mileage than I have been with the DMax. I've learned not to push it when it doesn't want more pedal, and I'll bet when I get some more miles on it--currently have just over 1000--it will get better mileage and power.

Wango,

The bigget problem I have is little cars trying to pass me...they just can't keep up. Ford and Dodge guys seem to give grudging respect, and when I do see another DMax on the road--still not too common an occurance--he seems like a long lost brother.

I guess you can say I have been "bitten" by the DMax bug. Since I have also been bitten by other bugs--like the drag racing bug and am still sufferring from the shooting/hunting bug (always will be)--I know what's in store for me. Like my wife says, I never just "stick my toe in." I have a hunch most of you guys posting here are the same way ;) .

Blaine

Hound
06-27-2002, 02:51
Blaine,

Glad to see you made it over here!!

smile.gif

SoCalDMAX
06-27-2002, 10:36
Hi Blaine,

I hear you about the fuel mileage. A couple of guys have an Excel spreadsheet linked to their sigs which does all of the math for you to track every gallon of fuel bought. You can get engine hrs if you push and hold odo. reset with key off.

I'm using the spreadsheet and saw roughly 15-16mpg driving like a newly licensed 16yr old. I changed to 255/85 tires which are roughly 9-10% larger dia. and dropped RPM 10% at same speed and gained roughly 1mpg. I also like the looks and ride of 33" tires. They seem to glide right over the small road jiggles, don't know if it's the increased dia. or the softer sidewall.

If you're willing to keep it under 65mph, you'll probably see 20mpg, but 75 or 80mph will drop mileage down quite a bit. If they ever release the 6th gear in the Allison, we'll see some nice low rpms at 75 or 80mph.

Regards, Steve

D-n-Tyke
06-27-2002, 12:26
Hey SoCalDMAX- Who has that spreadsheet? Where can I get it? I am still working on my first tank of gas, have half a tank left and am at about 300miles right now. Would really like to have that spreadsheet to keep more acurate track of milage.

Thanks
Dan

NutNbutGMC
06-27-2002, 16:22
^....D-N-Tyke... Forget the spreadsheet until you start burning diesel. I'd switch over quickly, though. These things don't run on gasoline very long. :D :D

SoCalDMAX
06-27-2002, 17:03
Hi Guys,

This is from idle_chatter (Tom Ashley), to give credit where it is due. Just fill in the first few columns and it will calc the mpg for you.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/tashley680

Regards, Steve

FirstDiesel
06-27-2002, 17:54
There's nothing there Steve. Says the folder is empty.

[ 06-27-2002: Message edited by: FirstDiesel ]</p>

esmo77
06-27-2002, 18:35
I have been reading all the wonderful posts since 1/02. After owning a 2500/6.0 for the time between4/01 and4/02. I bit the bullet and got what I originaly wanted. A 2500hd/4x4LS D/A. I have never been so pleased with any vechicle as I am with this one. 18.6 mpg solo and 13.5 pulling a 30 ft. tag along. PICS soon.

AKDmax
06-28-2002, 00:48
First Diesel,
What's your E-mail, I'll send it to ya.

john2
06-28-2002, 04:36
AKDmax....It sure would be great to have access to the mileage calculator. Can that be posted or sent to me as well?

FirstDiesel
06-28-2002, 07:25
AKDmax

Email is Larry@****.net

Thanks

[ 06-29-2002: Message edited by: FirstDiesel ]</p>

AKDmax
06-28-2002, 14:01
Check your mail.

MaxACL
06-28-2002, 14:44
AFP,

Greetings and welcome. I too spend a lot of time in my DuraMax and in an Air Force Jet. Life is truely good!

Mike :D

afp
06-28-2002, 16:14
Max ACL (allowable cargo/cabin load?)

I currently have two. After UPT, went to four propellers, then two fast engines, then two high tech ones, a desk, back to four, and now two high tech ones--at least they were 10 years ago.

Blaine

AKDmax
06-28-2002, 21:56
afp,
You drive a Hawg? You and MaxAcl may be interested in my pics. I'm not a stick jockey, just a good old fashioned 462 :D .

john2,
I will try to post the file in picturetrail, but I don't think it will work. if you post your e-mail, I'll send it to you also.

[ 06-28-2002: Message edited by: AKDmax ]</p>

afp
06-28-2002, 23:40
AKD,

Let me "decode" my last. UPT at Cloumbus 83-84, C-130s at Little Rock 84-88, T-38s at Reese 89-93, T-1s at Randolph 93-96, HQ AETC Operations Budget 96-98, C-130s at Yokota 98-01, back to T-1s at Randolph in 01. Two TDYs to Saudi Arabia supporting OSW and OEF (just returned from the last one). Made Major in 1996 (above the zone), and will retire a Major in 2007 (God willing).

Blaine

MaxACL
06-29-2002, 06:00
AFP:

16 years on the Herc, 4 on 141's, 8 on the C5 and the last 6 on the KC-10. Now I pass gas part time and yes ACL is "Allowable Cabin Load". That's the Laodmaster in me and my DuraMAX plate "MAX ACL" (Texas of course).

My email is: miketheboo@???hotmail.com (remove the ???)

Mike :D

Idle_Chatter
06-29-2002, 07:02
Welcome to the forum, afp! I was surprised to see that you got an "empty folder" message on the MPG spreadsheet. It's linked in my signature and I just went there where it seemed okay. Oh well. Glad to see that some folks are finding it useful! tongue.gif

FirstDiesel
06-29-2002, 07:57
I think that was me that got the empty folder message and I tried again with the same result. Refreshed and everything but nothing shows up.

AKDmax emailed it to me though, thanks for your work.

AKDmax
06-30-2002, 00:38
Tom,
Thank you for creating the spreads. I have been using it since the day I picked her up. Interesting to see how long it will take to make up the difference between the 8.1 (I changed it) and the diesel. A buddy at work has an 8.1 so I rib him every chance I get.

MaxACL,
It's in your mail box. Enjoy

afp,
You been busy! I retire the same year (07). Plan on using the D-max to haul a 5ver long into the retirement years. Can't wait!!

WayCoolKennel
07-01-2002, 14:52
Hello all... sorry to butt in on your conversation...

Just bought a 2500 HD Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Ally .. will be flying out to Phoenix to pick it up in a few days...

Been reading here for a while.. just lurking some... sounds like there are some decent mods for the DMAX.. cool.. Any advice on who to get a box from ??

I know the site owner probably frowns on that.. but hey.. nothing like a little competition to get you off your behind eh ?? You can email me your thoughts if you'd like.. waycoolkennel@???hotmail.com (remove ???)

Thanks for all the good info already discussed here...

Hey AFP .. you be the same afp from HuntAmerica ? or was it AllOutdoors.com .. forget which... ;)

Houndog, do you have hounds ? If so .. whattya hunt ? I'm just getting started hunting bears/lions... ;) have a couple blue dogs, a red dog and an english...

Thanks all !

--Steve

Oh... have a Ford PSD thats... OUTTAHERE ! Sporting the FOR SALE sign.. ;)

afp
07-01-2002, 15:31
Way Cool,

I usually post of 24 Hour Campfire and Stopping Power.

Blaine

WayCoolKennel
07-01-2002, 15:45
Ah.. yes 24HR campfire.. that's it... is BigStick still hangin around there ? Probably launching some 257 Weatherby Mag AI like a Duramax with juice and propane ... oh.. but definitely with X bullets :D

Been a while since I lurked around there....

Best,

--Steve