PDA

View Full Version : Fuel press. gauge tap location?

CRANE
06-27-2002, 06:42
Where is a good place to 'tap' in for a fuel pressure gauge. I thought I'd found the perfect location, just after the filter housing, but shows how little I know. What should I try next?

Kennedy
06-27-2002, 10:05
There IS no fuel pressure that we can measure unless you are instrumented to measure 30,000 psi...

NickLeinonen
06-27-2002, 17:41
the cummins boys are monitering fuel pressure. for the d-max, there is no need to [yet? :confused: :confused: ]

mechanicwillie
06-27-2002, 18:05
gm does not come out with a pressure gauge for the duramax only a vacum gauge for diag.we hook on to a port on the right front of the clyinder head looks like a a/c port.at idle 1to 3 inchs of vac 2000 rpm up to 5 inchs if it does not there is a problem

mackin
06-27-2002, 19:25
NickLeinonen ,

The DC gents are not running a high pressure BOSCH injection system till 03 .......

MAC smile.gif

NickLeinonen
06-28-2002, 17:28
yeah, i know. but they are having problems with their lift pumps for the vp44. they need to moniter the lift pump pressure. specs say 7-8psi wot, any lower and it is a dead pump.

i know the dodge boys are coming out with the common rail in 03. i probably will get one in 04. can't afford one till then, and the chevy's are getting the ugly stick to them, and the fords are getting that vt 365 with the cooled egr system. i very much dislike with a passion the diesel egr system.

i also want the solid front axle. i am young and can take a beating. when i get older with a bad back, then i will get a good riding chevy/gmc truck lol!

matt-max
06-28-2002, 19:46
hey John-

guess you need to find another gauge to fill that hole in your fancy custom console, eh?

matt

CRANE
07-01-2002, 07:13
I still need to know more. My whole goal was to make sure my primary lift pump was able to keep the main injector pump cool & satisfied. I thought I had read that the basic line pressure (due to initial pump/ before inj. pump) was somewhere around 20 psi. My tap after the filter was intended to check for pressure drop if (when) it started getting dirty. I just cant believe there is no pressure in the line between my filter housing & inj pump. Maybe I need to go farther downstream? (or just forget the whole idea)

walkerkd
07-01-2002, 07:23
D/C are having problems because in my oppion the dang on pump should not be right by the filter.. anyway i put a carter pump on the frame rail to boost it 7psi high volume pump.. no more slugginshness..!!!! anyway my Dmax has no problem and we shouldnt worrie about it because from what i have read we are pushing alot more press..

just my .02 cents. smile.gif