PDA

View Full Version : Summit Racing 4" exhaust part II

BlueOx03
10-24-2003, 20:25
I've been getting a bunch of emails about this, and there is a post on the *********** about it, so I thought I'd post some follow up on it.

I'm not going to say you should or should not buy this system. I will give you some advise in selecting a system and I'll tell you what I think of this one.

My advise is to go for a ride in a truck with the system you're thinking about, that's the only way you'll know if it's for you or not. Make sure that when you do, you do some everyday stuff too. I don't remember for sure hoe it was, but I ran some guys in Grand Rapids through a "real life" test track; normal driving, stomping on it, windows up and down, I even took them though the BK drive thru. From that you should your own opinion and decide what you want.

As far as this system goes, I'm very happy with it. I really wanted the ATS dual tail pipe system, which IMHO is the ultimate system on the market. I just couldn't justify the $1100 price difference, a guy could get this system and the juice comp w/attitude for that. I went ahead and got the 18" S/S tip with it and the grand total came to $350, not bad. I can honestly say I changed the whole system out in less than four hours without cutting anything and including the 20 minutes that a walked around trying not to be mad and break anything. I dropped the factory pipe on my head, had a lump for a good two weeks. Anyway, I did this by myself with the right side jacked up, it was so easy, it makes me wonder how good these other systems are and how many beers these guys drank to take so long...the hardest part is getting the fat front part off. For my truck, the system is five pieces, front(down) pipe, intermediate pipe, muffler, tail pipe, tip. It comes with an extension piece w/ hanger for the long box and a tailpipe extension for the dually, that if you put on a tip, you don't need. Just like any other system, it took a little fine tuning to get it just right, nothing hard though.

Now the good and bad...
It is loud, good and bad... I like it loud outside some people don't. It's not to loud inside though. I spent 30hrs in there a couple weekends ago, not bad at all...
The hangars aren't quiet as nice as the OEM ones, but they get the job done..no problems so far...
It's aluminized steel, to me this is good thing, it'll last, but it's not way over priced. I have yet to see an aluminized system rust through in under 8 years, most people won't even have their truck that long...
The worst thing about it is what it brings out in people that have payed $500-1400 for something that does the same thing. It's this or that, it's on back order, there's a typo in the description, it's made somewhere else and so on...bla,bla,bla..
The best thing is hearing people say how good it sounds and asking if it's one of the name brands. I love watching peoples jaws drop when I tell em' what I paid for it. Even better "hey, how come that sounds better than my....."

With all of that said, it does matter one bit to me what you run on your truck. However, I'm more than willing to share what I know and/or think...

Take it easy,

Ox

Lonewolf867
10-25-2003, 12:43
GREAT POST OX!
Thans for the run down! I have been trying to figure out what I want to do with my truck. I like the idea of driving with someone who has a system you are looking at. There is a Dyno day in Ga next weekend. This just gives me one more reason to go.. ;)

Mike

BlueOx03
10-25-2003, 16:27
Thanks, sorry it went so long.
I'll get some pics up sometime soon.
And by the way *********** = Diesel Place

Ox

SoCalDMAX
10-25-2003, 20:08
BlueOx,

Thanks for the great post! It's good to hear positive news about it. It sparked some interest, and to be honest, I was wondering to myself what the quality was going to be like with it. There's really no telling until someone gets one and sees it firsthand.

I've replaced my stock system with a Gibson dual exhaust, then replaced that with a Kennedy 4"/5", and I'm still far from an expert.

I know what you mean about envy, I know some people get defensive when the feel they overpaid, but I don't care what I paid for mine vs someone else's (as long as I didn't get charged $600 for the Summit system while everyone else paid less).

The hard part is to differentiate between the responses that point out technical differences and background info when designing an exhaust (more info than most people care to hear) from those that are defending their purchase.

I'm glad to hear that you like your exhaust, I like mine as well. The one thing that surprised me was aluminized vs stainless.

My truck was the test mule that Gibson used to jig up the dual system for CC/SB. It used the stock system up to where the original muffler was cut off, then the Gibson muffler was installed in the stock location and had dual 3" tailpipes. I opted to upgrade to SS for an extra $100 and the warr. changed from a few yrs to lifetime.

The surprising part was when I removed it just over a yr later. The 2yr old factory pipes were aluminized and looked brand new. The SS portion of the system was covered in a dull red surface rust and looked horrible. This is in very dry SoCal.

This is not to say the SS would have rusted out, but the auminized was bright and shiney, and the SS looked to be much older even though it was only just over a yr old.

Anyways, it's unbiased info from people like you, Kennedy (who shares some of the more technical details of why he chooses certain suppliers/coatings, etc) and the rest of us members that help us all to decide what to buy for the reasons we choose.

Regards, Steve

jesshd
10-26-2003, 07:26
By the way, near as I can tell, the Dynomax welded Ultraflow that is used on the Dynomax system is similar in design to the "chambered" muffler that Banks is using now.

Jess

GMCTRUCK
10-26-2003, 13:51
Not sure what all the crying over this topic in a previous post was about but, I heard/saw Ox's exhaust yesterday and it looked like a quality system and is one of the best sounding I've heard both in and out of the truck.

mackin
10-26-2003, 14:05
Yes it did sound good ..... But I still busted his balls ....Had to !!!

Mac tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

BlueOx03
10-26-2003, 16:10
Well Mac, you are at the right height for that... tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Ox

sdaver
10-29-2003, 12:07
BWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :D