PDA

View Full Version : New Guy/New Truck

Minn-kota
04-11-2003, 11:52
Hello all. Yesterday I picked up a 2003 2500HD D/A and love it. I've been reading through the old topics trying to get a feel on what the D/A will have to offer in terms of modifying and maintenance and have already learned alot.

I registered yesterday so that I can participate in the forums and get all the information I'm looking for. From what I can tell, there is a great group of people here that are willing to lend a minute of their time to offer help to anyone.

Being a first time diesel owner I'll probably listen and ask more than contribute at this point, but I have owned a couple late model Chevrolets that I've becomed accustomed to as far as the rest of the truck so I hope to help in those regards.

Any tips for a new guy? The fast idle trick caught my eye and will most likey be one of the first items on my to-do list. I did read some questions on if it will work on a 2003, but apparently it will. Being from MN and driving back and forth to ND on occasion the fast idle should help in the long winters.

How about break-in routines for the Duramax? The manual doesn't say much other than the standard break in procedure for all trucks and the diesel supplement didn't offer anything either.

Well, I have rambled on long enough. Please bare with me on any questions you may find trivial or have been asked repeatedly already.

bullet2110
04-11-2003, 11:54
Minn-Kota......Welcome...

Jimmy O
04-11-2003, 14:19
Welcome. Good to see someone close to my neck of woods and donot wory they run great in the winter. Where abouts in Minnesota are you from? I live in Fargo. My truck is stock right now but, monday I plan to order the Juice. :D

pinehill
04-11-2003, 15:08
Minn-kota asks, "Any tips for a new guy?"

Here are a few; I'm sure that others will add more.

1. Check *all* fluid levels, including engine oil, tranny fluid, both differentials, and transfer case. Many trucks are found to have low levels at delivery. Use only the fluids specified in the manual.

2. Lube all 11 grease fittings. Others (including me) have found some of these fittings to be almost dry at delivery.

3. Check tire pressures. Many trucks are delivered with only 45 lb (like mine).

4. *Always* carry a spare fuel filter (available from Diesel Page advertisers) and a strap wrench for removal & installation.

5. Buy fuel only from high volume suppliers to avoid water and grunge.

6. Use the search function in the upper right corner of the page to help find answers to questions.

7. Feel free to ask questions here when you can't find the answers you're looking for.

8. ENJOY YOUR DMAX!

[ 04-11-2003: Message edited by: pinehill ]</p>

Minn-kota
04-11-2003, 19:07
JimmyO - I'm in Hutchinson,MN.

I just looked at the door and found that my truck was built in July 2002. Any updates between now and then that I should be aware of? (computer, recalls, etc?)

Thanks

roegs
04-12-2003, 19:40
Minn-kota...you may want to take a look at the rear diff fluid level. A number of '03 trucks have been low from the factory. I happend to check mine the other day, and it was a quart low. I let the dealer fill it since the fluid is kinda spendy!

You'll love the truck...I keep looking for excuses to take mine for a ride. :D

sdaver
04-14-2003, 06:12
welcome........best advice is to read read read.......its all here :D dave

Oongawah
04-14-2003, 16:14
Welcome!

DogDays
04-14-2003, 17:11
Minn-kota

Welcome and enjoy it! For the best fuel mileage down the line it is best to baby the Duramax for the first 500 miles.

afp
04-14-2003, 21:18
Minn-Kota,

WARNING!! These guys will corrupt you. When I bought my DMax last June, I had installed an aftermarket air filter system, nerf bars, a tonneau cover, vent shades, a bed protector--the usual stuff. However, I now have a computer box (The Juice, by Edge Products), a free-flowing muffler, EGT and boost gages, a leveling kit (lifts the front end 2" so the truck now sits one inch low in the front instead of three), and a new bumper. I can't really blame this board for the bumper, I just got tired of ladies gently backing into my stock front bumper and damage it (the stock bumpers are tin cans).

Here is what I want next. New Bilstein shocks, new wheels and tires (295s or 305s w/re-gearing as appropriate), a new rear bumper, Hot Juice, Tranny mods (converter, TCM, valve body)..........................

Also, in addition to the fuel filter and strap wrench, you'll need a set of channel locks to remove the water seperator from the old filter and install it on the new one, as well as a large flat-bladed scewdriver (or a 1/2" / 13mm socket) to opend and close the bleed screw onthe fuel filter housing.

BTW, welcome!

Blaine

[ 04-14-2003: Message edited by: afp ]</p>

Minn-kota
04-15-2003, 13:21
Blaine - How did you raise the front end on a 2500HD truck? I know of the Hill Leveling kits, etc but those are only for 1/2 tons I believe. I've already cranked my torsion bars to try to level the truck, but I think it needs a little more to make me happy.

I've done searches on proper break-in guidelines, etc and I haven't read any definitive answer. Break it in hard, break it in easy, and everything in between. I'll take it fairly easy for a while although I had to get up on it a few times just to see how it compared to my previous 6.0L. Seems pretty good!

It came with the Bose stereo and the sad thing is, I've barely listened to it. Listening to the D-max rise and fall and go through the gears has been terrific. I just wish the turbo whistle was a bit louder, that'd be the icing on the cake!

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions offered thusfar. I'm sure it won't be long before I get into the "Juice" so I don't feel left out. peer pressure. :rolleyes:

Bud
04-15-2003, 13:30
Welcome.

afp
04-15-2003, 16:09
Hill Country makes them for HDs as well.

Blaine