PDA

View Full Version : Are all OE Fuel Filters the Same?

roegs
04-11-2003, 18:16
I've read that Racor makes all the OE fuel filters for the Duramax. After seeing the variation in prices, I'm wondering if they really are all the same... I was getting ready to order some extra's from DIS at $22 each, when I noticed oilguard.com selling them for $16 each in packs of 3. This seems to be a pretty good deal, but this is my first filter purchase, and I want to ensure I'm not missing something.

Fuel fiters are at:
http://www.oilguard.com/Merchant4/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=mtm&Category_Code=racor+oem

dmaxalliTech
04-11-2003, 18:31
roegs, As far as I know, Racor makes them all. I may be incorrect on this. I have seen filter from napa also that were identical other then the writting on the can. I think the price variation is dependent on the supplier, You buy can of peas from major brands and your gonna pay more then sparten brand, its all the same inside. :D

I have seen a large price difference in them also.

FirstDiesel
04-11-2003, 18:32
As of now all filters are the same.

mackin
04-11-2003, 18:35
roegs

Believe it or not they are the same....Racor /Parker Duramax diesel 4598.....

Oilguard use to sell them cheaper then that..Anouther place still does..... ;)

I just purchased a case and low and behold in that case was the suppliers receipt form where they get them .... ;)

If you could of seen my eyes pop clear out of my head when I seen the amount I thought was charged to my American xpress you would of died....

I looked further and it wasn't my credit card info ..... :eek:

But if you could see what they paid for them you would lose a turd on the mark up !!!!!

I'm (we're) looking into it ..... ;)

MAC :D :D :D

[ 04-11-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

jbplock
04-11-2003, 18:40
Here is a quote form RACOR previously posted here in the Forum:

"1. All DMAX filters are made by Racor. Period.

2. All DMAX filters have Aquabloc media rated
at four (4) microns at 98% efficiency or
better.

3. DMAX filters exceed Bosch's specs. (We talk to Bosch on this subject) They remove 100% of free water."

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004373&p=7

(FYI... OilGuard supplies their Bypass Oil filters as an OEM to RACOR)

smile.gif

mackin
04-11-2003, 18:55
jbplock

Now I know why I stopped reading that thread after the 4 page ..... Seemed like it was turning into a whizzing contest..... :rolleyes:

So buried deep in it states that the OEM is at a 4 Micron or better??

What is all the hoopla of adding filtering capabilities then ??

I talked to a gentlemen today to find me a 2 micron with water separator (toss the stock idiot light aside style) to fit OEM mount with a pre filter 15/10 micron rating with a mounting head for a frame mount....If I can't do this, I just might kick this mod to the curb....

I was going to follow up Monday when I get back in my office but it seems I would be wasting my time..As been reported 5 to 10 microns are the most damaging to the diesel injection systems ....

MAC

SPICER
04-11-2003, 19:49
Speaking of OE fuel filters, I noticed while crawling under my truck today that there was a drop of fuel hanging from my OE fuel filter drain valve. I wiped it off and checked after a few miles and it was wet again. I have only drained it one time, truck has 6500 miles. It does not seem to be dripping real bad. The frame wasn't wet. Maybe it is evaporating as fast as it is leaking? Can I get a replacement drain valve? Maybe this is an air source the "I've Got Gas" guys are looking for? Any comments? :confused: SPICER

roegs
04-11-2003, 21:41
Thanks for all the quick replies to this! My order was into Oilguard for filters, but now I've found them for $14 at diramaxstore.com. How low can this go? ;)

[ 04-11-2003: Message edited by: roegs ]</p>

jbplock
04-12-2003, 04:26
Mackin,

I think we have always known the SPEC on the OEM filter was good… Aside from the fun we get from tinkering, it’s the (poor) fuel test data (and speculation about the cause of injector failures) that has driven some of us to seek an improvement in fuel filtering.

SPICER,

There is an O-ring that seals the WIF (Water in Fuel) sensor. Could be yours is leaking (?). A replacement filter comes with two O-rings – one to seal the top of the filter and one for the WIF sensor.

smile.gif

[ 04-12-2003: Message edited by: jbplock ]</p>

FirstDiesel
04-12-2003, 18:29
Mac

What Racor says and what has been tested doesn't seem to jive. Look at the tests at JK's page.