PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Generated Air Filter Issues

afp
04-11-2003, 21:58
I have to take my truck in Monday to have the lopey idle fixed. It's getting worse and today, the truck stalled on me before it was warmed up. I knew it was just a matter of time--I have been putting this off for several months now.

The "DMax" guy at Gunn told me to take my K&N Aircharger system off before I brought it in. He said they wouldn't work on it under warranty unless I had a totally stock air intake to include a stock paper air filter. I can't even "swiss cheese the stock airbox". I'm not going to put the Aircharger back on for a while if at all. I guess I'll get either a K&N or Amsoil filter for the stock airbox. I will still have to take the aftermarket filter out for warranty work, but it will take 2 minutes instead of 30 minutes to swap.

The guys at Edge say there is no difference in power output on the dyno between a totally stock air intake vs anm open system. Maybe I don't need anything other than a paper filter. The truck sure doesn't feel as strong with the stock unit vrsus the K&N Aircharger, but seat of the pants feel isn't reliable. I am also concerned about getting water in the stock airbox when hunting season rolls around. Water will choke off the stock filter--had that happen before on a different vehicle.

If the engine was operating at 100% volumetric efficiency, it would need 382 CFM at 3300 RPM. However, turboed engines run at much higher VEs. If the turbo doubled VE, then we'd need almost 800 CFM at max RPM. I don't know anyone who has any clue what the airflow of a stock paper vs Amsoil vs K&N vs K&N Aircharger are.

Those of you who have expereince here.....what is your take? Am I losing power with a totally stock air intake system? Is there a way to keep the water out?

Blaine

ski
04-11-2003, 22:07
Can't really speak to the water issue as I have never had any get that high in the engine compartment. I have been through heavy rains, floods, mud, snow and no problem. I switched to the oily couch cushion (AMSOIL air filter) and have been very pleased with cleanliness. I have been running the AMSOIL for 6 months and can definitely tell a difference in the turbine sound and a bit quicker throttle response. The foam seal is very tight and constructed well. As you say though, there are no real studies I can find on actual flow. My choice was foam instead of gauze. To each their own

Oongawah
04-11-2003, 23:39
afp,

did you change your fuel filter?

chuntag95
04-12-2003, 06:51
afp,
I have the oily cushion as well. I also cheezed the air box. You can't see it installed. The holes in the bottom have helped in letting any water that gets in there drain out. Before I got bored with it (pun intended) I was having water collect in the bottom on occation. Now, the issue is gone. just my 0.02.
I don't believe they can say anything about just a filter change from paper to another type. Being a replaced item, unless they give it to you blah blah blah. Altering the air box is a different story. Sounds to me like you need to find a new stealer and/or get to know the tech better so he misses the subtle things. ;)

dmaxalliTech
04-12-2003, 10:43
afp, the lopey idle problem is likely a fuel pressure regulator, there is also an updated programming to correct. The only problem you might run into with the air intake set up is weather or not there is a MAF code stored. Some dealers will close the hood when they see aftermarket adds. But unless you want to play games with them, assuming they will put up a fight, I would go back to stock. An understanding dealer that is open minded knows the air setup your using probably has nothing to do with idle issue. I know that most are running oily couches for the fact of better filtration, not necc better flow. I have one in my truck for that reason only. Water will indeed damage air filter, will cause problems, have even seen them freeze and get sucked into turbo... IMHO a swiss cheezed air box is a good thing..

SPICER
04-12-2003, 20:45
What is a swiss cheesed air box? :confused:

dmaxalliTech
04-12-2003, 21:56
Spicer, "swiss cheese" is referring to the attempt made to allow as much air into the air box as possible by cutting out a large portion of it in the form of numerous holes on the dirty side of the filter. This allows more air in and allows dirt and moisture to fall out.

HD-Nate
04-13-2003, 22:06
The dealer CAN NOT stop you from changing your Air Filter to a K&N.
They CAN NOT void you warranty for doing so.

Read and understand the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

I am new to the Diesel market. But I am old hat with Corvettes another highly modified car.

I have several modifications to my C5 Corvette. The dealer popped the hood after hearing the aftermarket exhaust and said

NCalDMax
04-14-2003, 09:26
HD-Nate,

Thanks for the post and the link.

Clears up a few issues in my mind, I made a copy and am going to keep it with the truck.

afp
04-14-2003, 20:51
HD-Nate,

We are all familiar with Magnuson-Moss. However, the sad reality is many dealerships push the issue. They have the advantage. They have your vehicle, and it's no sweat off their back if you decide to fight them. They are not footing the bill for the rental. They don't have to work out the schedule between you and your wife to share one vehicle. There is little question the consumer will eventually win in most cases. However, the cost of the fight is often greater than the benefit of the victory.

They can (and often have) simply claim the problem you are experiencing was caused by the aftermarket part. In my case, they can say the K&N Aircharger is much more than a simple replacement air filter. They can even say the Amsoil filter, not being the factory authorized pleated paper style, is "incorrect maintenance." Of course, all of that would be hog wash, but it would sell long enough to make it a big hassle for me.

To combat the conflicting interests between consumers w/MM and GM guidance, my dealership has adopted it's policy that avoids hassles. They simply say bring the vehicle in with stock parts on it. When you get it back, put your aftermarket parts back on. While this isn't practical for all aftermarket mods, I kept this in mind concerning the aftermarket parts I have. My Juice box takes 2 minutes to install and take out. As long as I keep the factory airbox, it is another 2 minute job to swap out air filters. What I'll probably do is get another factory airbox and open it up. That way I can have my modified airbox and quickly sawp it for the stock unit.

No, I don't like this, but I simply don't have the time to fight this battle. There are other issues that are much more important to me.

Blaine

HD-Nate
04-15-2003, 08:59
Hey Blain,

I don