PDA

View Full Version : I Want One of These!

Idle_Chatter
04-12-2003, 07:59
Been getting a lot of annual statements and stockholder proxy vote forms lately. Honeywell had this photo in the annual report of "large engine" variable-vane turbos being assembled at a factory in Mexico. I see "Garret" on the compressor snails. Pretty sweet looking units!

look in the turbo folder in the pics link below!

dmaxalliTech
04-12-2003, 10:35
04 models will use a variable displacement turbo, I dont have much more info then that but will post it when I get it, I expect to gets lots of info first of May

FirstDiesel
04-12-2003, 18:31
I don't have a lot of faith in VVT. I've seen a lot of failed units in my sportscar world. What your doing is taking a very simple device, the turbo, and making it VERY complicated for a small increase in performance.

I hope these work out but I certainly will not be anywhere near the head of the line for one. I would wait at least a few years to see how they hold up.

Idle_Chatter
04-12-2003, 19:20
I hear that, FirstDiesel, sounds like F***d is having some problems with theirs, too. But looking at the volume in that assembly plant, it's a design that's going to stick around and should get the bugs worked out eventually. I'm guessing that the variable vanes are on the compressor side? Looks like a large actuator assembly stuck in there between the snails that must move a "swash plate" to cam all the vanes. Not only would that be a lot of moving pieces and a pressure boundary issue, but it would eat up some of your turbo efficiency in drag and friction on the plate and vanes.

FirstDiesel
04-12-2003, 19:25
The unit used in the sportscars I have was called an Aerodyne. The variable vanes occur on the turbine side. The problem was with tolerances and sticking actuators. The units would spin up so fast they would over rev and destroy themselves. I had friends with them that went through 3 or 4 of them in a few years before they junked them. Me, I'm a simple guy, my car has a plain conventional turbo and I'll live with the "lag". smile.gif

But the surprise in the eyes of the drivers that try to pass my little "toy" car is priceless.

[ 04-12-2003: Message edited by: FirstDiesel ]</p>